• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homebrewed Brake Bleeder Wrench

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I would share a little brake bleeder tool that I cooked up. I wanted to be able to capture the BFS that spills/squirts out all over the ground/truck/hand/arm etc. aua

I took a piece of 3/4" steel hex stock (x 2" long) and drilled a 3/8" hole through axially. Then counterbored to an inside diameter of .623" x 1.5" deep to make a tight press fit with a standard craftsman 7/16" deep socket (3/8" drive). Then I turned down the outside for about half the length to provide additional clearance. Then pressed the socket into the counterbore to create a permanent assembly.

Purchased a short length of vinyl tubing, (5/16" id, 3/8 od, IIRC?) Anyway, the tubing fits snuggly over the nipple on the bleeder screw, and the od of the tubing just fits the through hole in the craftsman 7/16" socket.

To use the tool, I slide the tubing through the socket and onto the nipple of the bleeder screw. Then slide the socket onto the hex of the bleeder screw. Then grab my favorite MAC 3/4" ratcheting box end wrench and slide it onto the 3/4" hex stock. (I suppose you could easily use a 3/4" open or box end wrench just as well)

Now I place the free end of the tubing into a "catch" container (an empty clear one gallon jug works great). This allows me to capture and examine the brake fluid that I am pushing out. It also helps me to see when I have clean fluid coming through. (If the captured fluid looks pretty good, I might even save a small bottle for emergency use.)

BTW: I also fabbed up the pressure bleeder posted up by Kenny (recovry4x4) and it worked PRETTY D*MN SLICK!!! [thumbzup]
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3439
I added a pressure gauge, and pumped up to about 30psi. Did a complete bleed job (by myself!) in about 30-40 minutes!! :grd: Thanks Kenny!!

See the pictures below to make sense of my description :wink:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very clever. And the description/pictures are easy to understand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks