• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homegrown Tow Bar

USMC6062

I decided to build myself a tow bar. I realize that if I were paying myself to build this, I probably could have bought several factory tow bars, but I think mine will be better in the end. Plus I should only have about $100 dollars out of pocket in mine, I spent $85 of that on the two adapters that hook to the bumper. Those would have been a little too much work to make for what they cost. I only have the lunette portion done for now, and it will be a while before I get time to work on it again, but I have to get this done before i go to pick up my deuce that I won. Next will be the legs, I'm going to make them out of 2" square tubing 1/4" wall, then I need to make the yokes for the adapter ends and where the one leg pivots. More pictures to come, as soon as I get more done.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very Very nice work. I bet that portion will end up stronger then the military version too as the military version is a casting. Did you cut that with a pattern or with a 2D CNC cutting system?

BEASTMASTER

RE: Home grown tow bar

real nice, but i took a 20 ton shackle and used that for the lunette. used 2" square tubing for the legs.looks real good and it works to!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Home grown tow bar

Nice work. You have a steady hand and a talent! Keep us up 2 date on the outcome.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Home grown tow bar

that is nice work. glad you are sharing and i will be looking for the leg section in pics thanks

nattieleather

Wow...Like everyone else said. If I had just seen the last pick I would have thought that is was the cast piece. Espically after you make it OD...

What method of welding did you use? Arc? Gas? TIG, etc?

USMC6062

Yea I wouldn't mind, but I only made a pattern for the two center (largest) pieces, and just made up the others as I went. I can probably trace it to a piece of paper, and right out the dimensions if that's what your looking for.

wdbtchr

I was curious if you V-ed out the laminates before you welded them together or just surface welded them. I can weld but they never look good.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I am a bit confused on the leg ends. In pic 296 the first pic of this update there appears to be some additional material added in between center and right ends in the pic. How did you assemble it all? Like before great work.

USMC6062

wdbtchr: Yes I beveled the edges of the laminate pieces before I welded them together, then ground it all flat again.

builder77: I think your asking about the raised area between the flat tabs and the square stock. I filled it with weld then ground it down flat. I forgot to take a picture of that step.