• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homemade trailer

dunedigger

I have a trailer I built out of a 86 2wd 1/2 ton. Pulled the bed last weekend and used the extra box and bumper from my 1028 in a lot better shape. I'm sure someone on the road will think I killed a military truck to do this. Oh well. I use the heck out of this trailer, now it will have some character.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always wonderd if it would make sense to connect an alternator to the pinion flange on a truck axle like that. Mount it up on the axle and put a large pully on the pinion flange.. just a wild thought

4bogginchevys

redneck charging system

I've always wonderd if it would make sense to connect an alternator to the pinion flange on a truck axle like that. Mount it up on the axle and put a large pully on the pinion flange.. just a wild thought
I like the idea...just curious what you might power with this alt.....maybe if used in conjuntion w/ a battery, a skillsaw or other tool, or even a welder?
you outta try something out, maybe it will mean millions in the bank!:idea:

whats the 2nd tool box on the front for? seems like 1 would be good enough? BTW looks real good!

Last edited:

BAMA91

I have a trailer I built out of a 86 2wd 1/2 ton. Pulled the bed last weekend and used the extra box and bumper from my 1028 in a lot better shape. I'm sure someone on the road will think I killed a military truck to do this. Oh well. I use the heck out of this trailer, now it will have some character
You have the same ball mount that we use! very nice trailer. my friends dad has a few old half ton rolling frames i need to have him make me a trailer.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea...just curious what you might power with this alt.....maybe if used in conjuntion w/ a battery, a skillsaw or other tool, or even a welder?
you outta try something out, maybe it will mean millions in the bank!:idea:

whats the 2nd tool box on the front for? seems like 1 would be good enough? BTW looks real good!
maybe use it to keep a trailer brakes battery charged if you have an automatic brake. or just to keep a battery or two charged for work lights or camping. seems a shame to waste the gears anyway.

Wartburg

that looks good. It is even more appealing since some SOB stole my 6X8 two months ago. I would love to find that son of a B.:evil: sorry got off on a rant. nice tailer:wink:

motormayhem

I thought about doing that to a friends dump trailer to keep the battery for the hydraulic pump charged so we could dump the bed, but we ended up just using the aux power pin in his 6-pin round connector to keep the battery topped off between jobs.

Sgt Hulka

Really clever design with the extended A frame in front of the body. Takes the tool boxes out of the beds and offers lots of alternative strapping place. Great job.

dunedigger

I used the rear over the axle section of another frame to extend the front. I used fishplates cut to diamond shape ends on the outside and inside of the frame as well as plates on top and below the frame. The joint is stronger than the frame ever could be. This trailer was my camper. I have a pickup tent that is designed to go in the bed. We camped in this for years. I had an air compressor in one side of the tool box with external ports so it can be run with the lid closed. I am always at the sand dunes and air is a must. I also have a hitch on the back with a third tool box I used. We packed all of our camping gear and clothes in them. We had to have an empty truck on the last day of our dune trips so we could still go out on the sand after campground checkout. I also use this trailer a lot for hauling our leaves, brush and moving furnature.

overkill375

Looks great plus 1on painting the wheels black. I would also try and find the matching rear axle for the 1008 or 1009 whatever you pull it with so all the spares are the same.

Croatan_Kid

The only thing I don't like about trailers like that is using a truck axle. I'm very skeptical of c-clip axles. Granted, it probably didn't cost much, but if I ever did that, I would put a single 7000 pound axle under it :-D Just to eliminate any chance of a getting a broken c-clip and having an axle shaft and tire walk out from under the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks