• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Honest opinion CUCV M1009

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
CARNAC before you start scraping stuff give me a call. I may have some to add to the pile.
Sure will. The lowballers are already offering scrap guess the point was missed.

Maybe I will rent a 50 cal and have some expensive fun a d still see if the offers are still there.

avlon01

I just bought a fully restored M1009 for $8,500. 34,000 miles, no rust, no body filler, fresh CARC paint, new tires, new interior, new engine. All photo documented and receipts for everything all the way back to when it was surplussed from the WI Army National Guard.

I think you might be asking for way more than you think it's worth.

Just because you spent a lot of money on it, doesn't translate to selling it for a lot of money. Ask any classic car guy who dumped thousands into a restoration and never saw any of it back when they sold.

tbearatkin

It's very seldom a positive cash investment to restore a piece of history. You end up paying more out than you will ever get back. You can always donate a MV to a museum for a tax write off for more than you can ever sell one for. I have the only M1009 for events in West TN. Our local museum does not have a vehicle newer than the Vietnam era. On a positive note, I have Vets come up to me all the time wanting to check out my CUCV and talk about their experiences. To many, it's a healing experience to open up to a fellow Vet, driving around in an old MV. One recent Vet said he retired in 2012 and on his last deployment to the Middle East he said they still had a few CUCVs still moving people and equipment around the secure airfield. Many museums do not have much of anything between Vietnam and current. You have an important piece of history.
Guess I need to do some work on mine so there can be two. Mine is just stock with no work really done to since it was discharged from the military. Previous owner did rhino guard the inside and then painted the outside baby poop tan. All I have done is add a better seat cover (smittybilt jeep covers), add a drink holder and rebuilt the Injection pump. Just finding the time.

deserteagle

Thanks Bob H. Now I know why, I cant sell it. Tough crowd over here. Have you seen better looking M1009 on the internet? Share the link please. Thank you!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me wander off topic a bit to economic theory... There's essentially 2 models.

First we'll look at a command economy. In a command economy the price of an item is fixed at the cost of the materials used to produce the item plus reasonable compensation for the labor involved in making that item. In this type of economy buying something to resale at profit is a crime punishable by imprisonment. The advantages of this type of an economy is that it is fair to both the buyer and the seller, prices are predictable, and it readily takes advantages of economy of scale. The disadvantages are that there's no opportunity to realize a large profit for a superior product, and it does not take into consideration greed or product demand.

The second economic model allows prices to free float based on product demand. The advantages here are that superior products bring increased profit margins. This provides an incentive to create a superior product. The disadvantages are that demand can be artificially manipulated and price gouging can happen. The risk is also greater to the producer because there's no guarantee that there will be any compensation for the materials or labor.

The OP is making an error by trying to assign value to his product using the first model. In a free market the first model is only useful to determine production cost. Demand will determine sales price point.

This implies that OP's product isn't desirable, but this is misleading. Many of us would like to have a similar cucv. What prevents us from shelling out the cash to compensate the OP for his investment is opportunity cost. If we spend the $17k on the OPs truck we can't then spend it on other things... and also the 80/20 rule, rephrased as the law of diminishing returns. For 20% of the cost of the OP's truck we can get 80% of the
performance. Specific example - Carnac was recently trying to sell a really pretty decent M1009 at $4000. CARNAC'S truck is certainly at least 80% as good as OP's truck at right at 20% of the cost.

98G

Last edited:

donalloy1

Nifty way to mount rear license plate. Want to mount mine in similar fashion. Is it hinged with springs or something for bottoming out off road?

strelnik

What a truck! Very nice! Your situation is similar to mine: I have some classic cars that I have spent some serious money to restore, so if I sell now., I sell at a loss.

The only place where you could sell that car for near its price is Barrett-Jackson, on TV. In addition to everything that's showm, you make a short video and create a book which describes the vehicle. I don't mean a looseleaf note book, you do lots of computer work and put in a lot of color pictures. Scan the whole book so it goes on a CD.

Make two printed copies of the book, keep one and send one to Barrett-Jackson, to get tyhem interested.

This is all about marketing cool stuff to people with very serious money, who buy it as a toy or to outdo a buddy.

The bottom line: you need to advertise so that the guys at Barrett-jackson thought that if God wanted a CUCV, he would buy yours.

It really is all in the marketing.

Your cost to make two books might be timne and maybe a mex of 75.00.

You also need someone to write a narrative to describe the vehicle, its features, the story of how you found it and made it into the magical super-stud luxury killer vehicle that it is. Any cool little anecdotes are what they look for-- bragging rights. Go get sexy celebrities to sit in it. Maybe Miss Virginia. Or a CW singer.

You don't sell the steak...you sell the sizzle.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck , lots of attention to detail , way over the top at 17K , from a guy that likes his truck bone stock mil-spec I find the white lettering does not go with the great job you did on the truck, try and make them black walls , it will make the truck look even better, now back to the price , super clean with the comms gear and everything correct I think you should be able to see 10K , having seen prices on some 1/4 tons at 25K there is always someone out there that may pay more, good luck with your sale,

deserteagle

Hi donalloy1. It is not hinged. Bracket from a tow truck bended and mounted to the bumper (holes in the bumper were already there). +12V is from the tow el. harness. Thank you for looking!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks