• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood body repair.

Clausen

I'm doing all the paint and body repair for a friend of mine on his HMMWV I think he said it's a 1986. I saw on here that the X doors are epoxy resisn, and I am trying to find out if the hood is also. Thanks for any help!

Clausen

So, it does look like the hood is made with SMC. I've been in and around paint and body, (family business), for over 30 years. Went into business for my self 20 plus years ago. My older brother has restored many '70 Challengers, (he's the real expert), and worked on many Corvettes as well. Now he's a wealth of information, but I like to do my own research because I remember it better, not only that he's a terrible teacher especially over the phone. (That might be in part because we are family.)

In any case, any time you do any kind of paint repair work and especially restorations, your number one concern is adhesion. ALWAYS adhesion. This is the biggest issue above everything else that can go wrong with coatings. The good news is, USC and I would bet other manufacturers, make a "Hybrid" Resin called All Resin suitable for multiple substrates.

https://www.uschem.com/en/products/fiberglass-repair/

" Manufactured with a proprietary resin blend formulated for repair of both SMC and fiberglass, this resin does it all! Special adhesion properties assure a structurally-sound, worry-free repair; the thick, non-sag formula provides vertical hold for side panel and truck repairs. Use with fiberglass mat, cloth and tape. "

I was also concerned about my body fillers. Everything I currently have in stock is compatible with SMC per the manufacturer website. This includes Upol Gold body fillers, I have a tube of USC glaze which is almost empty, so I didn't look it up, but one supplier started selling HyTech which is a UK company, and the Glaze which I haven't even opened yet says SMC right on the label. A lot of times you have to find the technical sheets to find all the published info on the products you may use.

Also, with regard to the USC All Resin product, it can be used with epoxy or polyester resin. For example, if the doors are Kevlar and the were made with an Epoxy resin, you can use this resin to repair it. At the end of the day, preferences between epoxy or polyester resin is irrelevant, when it comes to repairs. The ONLY thing that is relevant is adhesion. And if there is any doubt I'm going to use something I know can be used with as many substrates as possible.

Action

FWIW, I have seen HMMWV hoods burned by fire. When the fire goes out on it's own, the hood will still be there. But, you can poke your finger straight thru it. If you try to pick it up, it will just fall apart. It seems the strands of whatever are fireproof. Everything else burns up, but the strands are still holding the shape until touched.

rjf189

So, it does look like the hood is made with SMC. I've been in and around paint and body, (family business), for over 30 years. Went into business for my self 20 plus years ago. My older brother has restored many '70 Challengers, (he's the real expert), and worked on many Corvettes as well. Now he's a wealth of information, but I like to do my own research because I remember it better, not only that he's a terrible teacher especially over the phone. (That might be in part because we are family.)

In any case, any time you do any kind of paint repair work and especially restorations, your number one concern is adhesion. ALWAYS adhesion. This is the biggest issue above everything else that can go wrong with coatings. The good news is, USC and I would bet other manufacturers, make a "Hybrid" Resin called All Resin suitable for multiple substrates.

https://www.uschem.com/en/products/fiberglass-repair/

" Manufactured with a proprietary resin blend formulated for repair of both SMC and fiberglass, this resin does it all! Special adhesion properties assure a structurally-sound, worry-free repair; the thick, non-sag formula provides vertical hold for side panel and truck repairs. Use with fiberglass mat, cloth and tape. "

I was also concerned about my body fillers. Everything I currently have in stock is compatible with SMC per the manufacturer website. This includes Upol Gold body fillers, I have a tube of USC glaze which is almost empty, so I didn't look it up, but one supplier started selling HyTech which is a UK company, and the Glaze which I haven't even opened yet says SMC right on the label. A lot of times you have to find the technical sheets to find all the published info on the products you may use.

Also, with regard to the USC All Resin product, it can be used with epoxy or polyester resin. For example, if the doors are Kevlar and the were made with an Epoxy resin, you can use this resin to repair it. At the end of the day, preferences between epoxy or polyester resin is irrelevant, when it comes to repairs. The ONLY thing that is relevant is adhesion. And if there is any doubt I'm going to use something I know can be used with as many substrates as possible.
Please post before/during/after pictures of your work! Would love to see how it goes, as I will need to do this in the next few months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks