• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood handles

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was never a "factory" item. It got added at the motorpool by some smart mechanics.. I added one to mine.. Makes opening and closing the hood MUCH easier...

As for where to get one, find a guy parting out a truck, or steal one from your frame.. here is a picture of one on a W/W truck, but there are several on both sides of the frame..

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only semi-good answer I got while in the Army about them is they help the mechanics pull themselves out from and under the truck when working on it..

They are NOT for tieing them down on railcars or semi trucks.. Thats for sure. The only authorized tiedown points on the M35A2 are the front bumper tiedowns and the rear tiedowns under the bumperettes...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen the hood handles from a 5T on a deuce. They look and work good too. Jim, I too asked about these handles. Another good SS member had one extra, and sent me MORE than 1. It is the 1/2 inch one from the deuce frame, like pictured in one of the above posts. You are more than welcome to the last one I have. Just PM me your address, and it's on it's way. It sure stops you from pinching your fingers!

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know on the M37s, the Marines often did this modification along with a few other signature "neat things". The Army did not do this at the time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of the trucks I just got had handles on the hood. They are the same ones on the side of the cab. BTW, those frame handles are very handy, I have them on my car trailer and my steel topper for my pickup.

Attachments

breelanr

One of my trucks had a handle when I bought it. I measured it and made handles for my other trucks. Used 3/8" round mild steel stock, heated and bent into a "U" and then cut 3/8" threads with a die. 4 nuts, 4 washers, 2 holes and some paint to finish it. Cost is about $3.00 each, if you already have a tap and die set. Works fine, lasts long time.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same here, Ray. I think they always used 3/8" round steel, not 1/2" :shock:
Although a frame handle would function well I think it would look much better on the hood of a typical redneck deuce...! :lol:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They sell those handles at the local hardware store in different sizes and standoffs. I don't think they are sold as handles, though...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks