• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hook lift Deuce?

chevyhurstolds84

I am No engineer. But I'm well mechanically inclined. I know it would make the best use for my deuce if I could design and build a hook-lift system for it. I searched all over the internet and here for any glimpse of this idea thrown around. My chances were close to none. I know its a fact that a deuce doesn't have the weight capacity that a regular street truck does, but I am only going to need a 9000 lb. capacity or less on the street. Off road I will definitely be keeping it under 5k lbs. Is there any limitations or problems I may encounter? Or is there a specific reason no one has done this yet? Thanks in advance. all your inputs are appreciated!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am somewhat confused as to what you are asking.

Do you mean a hook and lift system like on a Palletized Loading System truck (where a load is lifted and dragged up on the back of the truck).

Or do you mean a hook and lift as in a wrecker?

Or do you mean a lifting device on the front that uses the winch and some gin poles to lift a load?

Just asking.

tm america

They are rated to haul 10000 on the road and 5000 offroad. i have had five times that amount in my truck without problems. They sell the lift system you are talking about might be alot less trouble to just buy it rather than make one.But yes that would be an awsome setup on a deuce i want to make a dump setup with a winch to be able to switch the beds out and still use it as a dump truck

chevyhurstolds84

yes deuces are slow. horse and buggys are slower.
I'm talking along the lines of a dumpster hook loader. I like this ides because then i could make many attachments for it. Such as a camper (that's iffy though), of course dumpsters, tow flat bed, and even put a troop bed on a frame for one. I don't know if this idea is a little extreme or not, but its the only idea I like enough so far to get excited about.

rorybellows

I am somewhat confused as to what you are asking.

Do you mean a hook and lift system like on a Palletized Loading System truck (where a load is lifted and dragged up on the back of the truck).

Or do you mean a hook and lift as in a wrecker?

Or do you mean a lifting device on the front that uses the winch and some gin poles to lift a load?

Just asking.
ya, sounds like he wants a "mini" pls. which there are a few in south cackalacky up for grabs on that one other site. not that im mentioning it, or anything

chevyhurstolds84

They are rated to haul 10000 on the road and 5000 offroad. i have had five times that amount in my truck without problems. They sell the lift system you are talking about might be alot less trouble to just buy it rather than make one.But yes that would be an awsome setup on a deuce i want to make a dump setup with a winch to be able to switch the beds out and still use it as a dump truck
I looked into buying one the only problem is. the fact that the deuce chassis is much higher than the street chassis they are designed for. I would also need a way to clamp the load chassis' down to the deuce chassis for off road purposes.

quickfarms

Why are you interested in the hook lift?

Do you want to use the truck as a dump?

Do you want to swap beds?

If we know what you want to use the truck for it would help.

For a while I was very interested in adding the Paletized loading System (PLS)to my truck. This is basically a hook lift system and I researched and I did get a few prices for the lifts. They are very pricy, you could get a fleet of dueces for the cost of the lift. They are not that common is the USA

Another option would be a used roll off hoist converted to dead load.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It would have a high center of gravity by the time you put the mechanics between the frame and the bottom of the rail system. You would also need a hydrolic system to operated it.

I have driven roll off trucks and they get squirrly when heavily loaded.

You might consider swappable bodies that could be set up on a frame (the same height as the bed) and be slid into the back of the stock deuce bed using some heavy rollers.

That idea has been rolling around in my mind since I had an S280 shelter that I used to have to pay to have loaded and unloaded.

ODdave

You have had 50K in your deuce? Pics please!

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I think its a great idea,I was thinking of doing the same thing with a 900 series long frame 5 ton.But now I am working on a humvee project.It would make 1 truck very useful.

chevyhurstolds84

You mean something like this on a deuce right?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dm9IeOV5OY[/media]
Yes!!! thats exactly what I want!!

Wreckerman, You have a good point with the center of gravity. Now that's one more thing i have to consider. A friend of mine builds monster trucks. I will have to pick his brain as to a way to make some sort of anti sway system that may work with the suspension that is of the deuce.

landfillman

I think a Deuce would be able to run a hook lift, THe make them down to Chevy/Isuzu npr 1.5 ton trucks and I have run a few on several other 2 ton single axle trucks.

One question that is are you going to use it as a dumper to. What I ran into in the roll off and hooklift business is that you need one thats hinged. with dump cylinders. SOme of the earlier ones and cheaper ones have a have justthe hook lift and were used mostly for palletized items. I worked for a company that had one for doing clean ups on our pump station jobs. We had a flatbed, lube bed, and a genset bed and a couple 5 yard rubbish beds. To dump them when the hooklift was raised it would hole the fron of the bed off the trailer and the whole bed had the be slide back to get a good dump angle. a few times it was lost off the guaide rollers. Later that winter on one job it was a rain out week and I had an onsite sevice shed I built a sub frame for the hook lift and made a better one. THe hook loaded the can and the new sub frame dumped it like a true dumper.

They also made a light duty roll off that doesnt use the reeving wich but a spool winch to.

Last edited:

chevyhurstolds84

I think a Deuce would be able to run a hook lift, THe make them down to Chevy/Isuzu npr 1.5 ton trucks and I have run a few on several other 2 ton single axle trucks.

One question that is are you going to use it as a dumper to. What I ran into in the roll off and hooklift business is that you need one thats hinged. with dump cylinders. SOme of the earlier ones and cheaper ones have a have justthe hook lift and were used mostly for palletized items. I worked for a company that had one for doing clean ups on our pump station jobs. We had a flatbed, lube bed, and a genset bed and a couple 5 yard rubbish beds. To dump them when the hooklift was raised it would hole the fron of the bed off the trailer and the whole bed had the be slide back to get a good dump angle. a few times it was lost off the guaide rollers. Later that winter on one job it was a rain out week and I had an onsite sevice shed I built a sub frame for the hook lift and made a better one. THe hook loaded the can and the new sub frame dumped it like a true dumper.
Yes i want a dumper too. what do you mean by hinged? make the rails lift like its an actual dump i assume?

Vintage iron

I have also looked into a hooklift for my 5 ton for all the same reasons. Check out a company called swap-loader and there is another company that has a dump hoist on a square tube frame. At the head there is a winch. It is basically a simple roll off set up. I think it will work great on a duece. most commercial hooklift systems and roll-off setup are heavy. Keep it simple and fun! I went with a Knuckleboom, dump hoist and 1400 R20's on my M813.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks