• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hooked up the 105 for a dog run... photos..

91W350

I had not attempted backing the M105 with the deuce, so I had to try it today. I hooked her up and took the dogs out for a run. The deuce sure pulls that trailer easy! It really is one of those you do not know its back there deals, but it does bounce on the hitch once in a while. Truck and trailer stopped nice and straight. I had no problem backing up out there in the field, but when it came time to twist it back into the driveway between the houses, I discovered it is hard to recover once that trailer gets started around, the steering just is not fast enough turning to get back in line. I had to straighten out three or four times to get it wormed in there. The drive is hard to hit with the deuce and no trailer.... The M1008 makes putting the trailer away so much easier! Anyway, maybe I will get better with practice. Having 200 plus pounds of dog wanting to look out the right door glass and covering up the mirror did not help my cause much, like not at all..... Anyway, it was not any worse than I imagined, Glen

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck and trailer! When backing up, I always put the transfer case in low range. It makes backing up much easier.

DieselBob

I recovered my 105 with the deuce and like you said you couldn't tell it was back there. I need to do some work to make it road ready but I like the looks of the deuce with the trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Along with using low range to back I like to keep the rear gate in it's holders on the left side of the trailer, makes it much easier to see.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Years of driving tractor trailers and other assorted vehicles taught me that a short trailer will make a fool out of you fast......I could put a 53 foot box trailer anywhere I wanted it....put a 20 foot shipping container on a rail behind me and I looked like a newbie.

91W350

I live on a fairly narrow two lane street, narrow enough that meeting cars normally pull to the curb to let the other go by. My driveway was designed for Model A Fords, or maybe Model T Fords. It is a tough hole to hit. I had it mastered with my bass boat and my Blazer. The M1008 makes short work out of the M105, but that deuce just does not swing fast enough and cannot recover the trailer at much angle. I agree with you Wreckerman, swinging the nose of a long trailer around is much easier than trying to get back under a short trailer.

Next time I am going to try backing in across the corner of my lawn instead of trying to stay out of the neighbor's lawn. I would put it in the back yard, but the clotheslines and trees are in the way. I can back the deuce up to the tree trunk, bump the tree, then set the park brake, chock the wheels and life is good. Trying that location with the trailer would leave my truck on the down slope and too close to the edge of the roadway.

Thanks for the compliments on truck and trailer! Glen

Hawkshaw

Looks good behind there. I am still out trying to get a 105 for my deuce didn't have any luck on the last auction at the RA. There are 3 more pairs coming up on the next GL at the RA, the only problem is I only need one and really don't want to buy two of them. My buddy was going in with me on the other auction as it was for a 105 and a 101 he was going to get the little one, but it did not go so well. Maybe I will find what I am looking for without having to mortgage the house to get it. HA HA.

91W350

Riley auctioned off some nice old 105s, they were from the mid 1950s to the late 1960s. I wanted a Turtle Mountain, just for my wife's turtle addiction, but they went high. I managed to get six nice 105s at one time. I would like to find a couple more if the price is right. Glen

wikallen

Short trailers can really make you look like a newb. Worse yet, try it with an m109. You can only see the darn trailer, after it has already turned too far. As long as I do not see the trailer, I am backing it straight. I think I am going to mount a jerry can on each side toward the back, to give it a wider profile.

Bighurt

I have a 12' single axle cargo trailer. Unless there is something on it I can't see it out the rear view mirror or looking through the back window. I can barely see it in my door mirrors and then only if I'm turning.

I would much rather back my 35' fiver!!!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen that is one sweet looking 105 and NO I dont want another project either! The truck is looking as nice as ever have you attended the rear axles yet? You are styling Glen great truck and trailer and the boys look like they at the top of their game also!! Take care and talk soon Glen
KK

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It took me a while to master it. The trick is to steer as little as possible-pick the right "line" and very slowly creep the trailer to where you want it.

91W350

It was easier today, but the initial turn from the street is tough. Once I get it semi lined up in the driveway it is smooth sailing, just watch the tire at the bottom corner of the box. It helped a lot having the other mirror too. I am thinking maybe I need to store my trailer out at my buddy's antique car museum..... he has acres....

I did a parallel park job in the street at work and backed in right into the two stalls, surprised me! I probably will be three years trying to get it in another two stall spot in one pass....

Karl, I should have the seals next week, I am looking forward to learning a little more. You know how it is, I love all things mechanical. Glen

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend that's trying to sell the idea he had for an auto backing trailer conversion to the Military. He let me try useing a 101 he converted and his Hummer. It was quite the experance. I was going quite fast and the trailer turned when the truck did. I did not have to watch the trailer at all just back the hummer down a very narrow windy road. With this set up you could drag a 101 behind a 30 foot trailer or larger and the 101 would stay right behind when it came time to back up.

armytruck63

I find with the M105 behind a deuce that if you carefully watch for the trailer lugnuts, you can catch the trailer just before it gets turned too far to recover. The lugnuts are the first part of the trailer you see as it starts to turn behind you. And slow, slow, slow also helps.

Last edited: