• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hope you all don't hate me for this...

taildragger03

All right I can hear it already. Well the problem was the tires on the trailer. The pressure was more than they could bare. For some odd reason finding replacements and someone to mount them slowly closed the price envelope and pushed me to this measure. That is an axle rated to around 6000 lbs. I hope some one appreciates it!:mrgreen:

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is enough room, you could mount the axle above the springs and lower the trailer. Make it easier to load/unload.

deucebigalo

Looks like it came out pretty good. If you dont mind me asking roughly how much did it cost you for that set up?

Also just because you changed out the axle and wheels does not make it bad, you are still preserving a part of history but you have adapted it to your needs.

:grd:

taildragger03

Thanks for the support! Yes, there are trees in Nevada. We take them from California and hold up towns live Virginia City! As for the price, I am out around $700. The benefit is the eight lug wheels where I can use the spare on the truck. As for the brakes. Yes, the hand breaks are gone but I can add electric brakes to the axle if I want. As for dumping I just leave it connected to the truck, pull the pins and use my high lift jack under the front of the bed. I couldn't get the original rails so I had to have channel iron formed to slide in. Yes, the height is up there but is around three inches lower than the truck bed. Not to bad wanted to keep the trailer close to stock height. For those with interest the business who fabricates the axle is local in Reno. Krobilt has a website.
Now its time to get a M1008 0r M1028 to really compete on the history channel:jumpin:

number9

You know, for less than $700 you could have got a M101A2 or A3 that has 8-lug wheels you can use off your truck and still had surge brakes and hand brakes. Just saying......:confused:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes i have a 101A2 with the 8lug axle for sale for a bit more (with sides and cover) and for haft that i have a A3 axle for sale with the brake set up.. but that is one nice looking trailer.. an i too didnt know that you could load that much in it.. how much fire wood is that trailer holding?

taildragger03

With the measurements of 6x8x4=192 cu. ft. comes out to around 1.5 cords. The pictures with the truck comes out pretty close to around 2.5 cords. I pulled this stunt about 3 times before the snow came in. Significantly cuts down the amount of trips that I make into the mountains.
As for finding an A2 or A3, they are hard to come by this far west.

blybrook

Brake Dumping

Actually, if you add in the electric brakes and a break away controller setup (some states require this); you could still activate the brakes and dump the trailer as previously done with the previous hand brakes.

Essentially, you pull the break away controller cable, which immediately activates the brakes on the trailer, then pull your pins & back up. It'll dump if the brakes are properly adjusted. I know my car hauler will skid along with the wheels locked up if I pull out that cable or activate the brakes accidentally (works as a great parking brake too!)

Another option is to keep your hand brake and modify the electric brakes to include a vehicular parking brake lever. I've heard of it being done, so I'm still investigating this.

Edit - I found a website that specializes in this setup, its Trailer Parking Brake Systems and they have the attached picture to describe how to order the system. It appears that it is a cable ONLY brake system though. I still believe an electric brake system can be modified to work similar to their setup.

Otherwise, looks like a great swap. Thanks for the pictures!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks