• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

horn button question

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i got a new horn button kit and i cant figure out how it goes on. where im running into trouble is the actual plastic button. i know how all goes together but i cant figure out how to get the button in. i dont know how to get the tabs on the plate to work with the fingers on the horn button.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other style you have to push the button, then turn it to remove. Can be a little stubborn.

Dennis

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rubber cover comes off by prying, the button itself is seated in a twist lock fashion.
The horn button design is one of the least military devices on the truck IMHO, I'm surprised that it was ever accepted in this civy style with brass contacts that are constantly exposed to the environment, more or less anyway. A separate sealed switch could serve the purpose and meet mil spec, would also avoid the sliding contact in the steering column on some models....

dmuchow

On the topic of horns... are you supposed to hear the horn over the engine while at 45mph?

I think i'm gonna hide an airhorn in the engine compartment, what i have is pitiful.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 8x8 I'm working on came from factory with an electric horn, which was promptly replaced with an air horn (should be an MWO somewhere...), so there is a precedent.
I'm making both functional and have a separate switch for the air horn. The horn button on the steering wheel is reserved for the electric, "motor pool" horn as Leonard Jones calls it. :)

Cdub

The contacts with the spring and the wheel around the nut was rusty on my M925 from sitting up in Maine for five years. Once I cleaned the wheel and the spring she worked just fine.

C'dub

JDToumanian

On the topic of horns... are you supposed to hear the horn over the engine while at 45mph?
I sure can hear mine! It's LOUD!!! Maybe check to see that yours isn't clogged with rust... or a dead mouse or bird or something...

Jon

saddamsnightmare

February 24th, 2008.
fat lady sings
DMUCHOW:

My M35A2 from 1971 has the same button set up as above, but there is a two note airhorn mounted on the inner right fender and connected to the airline splitter "T" up on the firewall in front of the passenger. The horn is operated by an integral solenoid that opens the air valve on the horn body. Desert Deuce has them NOS or reconditioned, they're military and not quite like civillian motor truck horns in their pitches, I suspect it had something to do with European traffic regulations. When I got my deuce from a GI up at Fort Carson,CO, it was missing the lower horn bell and did not sound much different then a 1970's Honda Civic electric horn, but once replaced, the horn is loud enought to scare the S--t out of the average Texas airhead driver and make them reconsider their suicidal notions and driving habits.If you cannot immediately replace the airhorn, you will need to temporarily cap or plug the airline, as you won't have airbrakes otherwise. Good luck gentlemen, and yes, the switch design is no different then a 1951 Ford F-6, but more subject to weather and corrosion.

I remain, As Always Sirs,
Indebted for the Insights,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Swiss Mercedes Benz S404.114 Unimog
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce Truck.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i got my button to go together, it turns out that the hole in the steering wheel where everything sits was misshaped. i sanded down the horn button some to make it fit and it twisted in like it should. the problem now is the darn thing likes to just start goin off all by itself. i may try and swap in some kind of civilian button

emr

When I got my first deuce, I was a serious newbie, i still have the electric horn in the grille area... so since it just squeeked i figured i didnt have an air horn , did not look for a wire just figured i had the electric one hooked up, so one day in a parade i was squeeking away, and :shock: ALL OF A SUDDEN :shock: The air horn cleaned it self out, :D Man I had that thing on overload for the rest of the parade :D luckily it was the 4th of july :!: ...Randy

BEASTMASTER

those horns have a set screw on the back that you can adjust the tone.stuff one with a rag while you tune the other one.turn the asetscrew a little at a time and blow the horn. it helps to have someone at the wheel and just yell try it.it'll take a good 15 min. to get the loudest blast possible.and it will sound like a firetruck. :driver:

madsam

I pulled my horns and was looking at them, and they have a thick coat of green pain on the bell. I wonder if removing the paint off the bell would also make them ring better. I might to that. I only see a Allan wrench screw on the back to adjust then tone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks