• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn button rubber cap question

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I ordered a horn button kit from ODIron. Little plastic bag, a couple of springs, rubber doo-dahs and brass cups. Can't be difficult. Assemble and install.
Half an hour later I am feeling like a moron. TM is no help as it shows a different style horn button assembly.
I finally got it working. Steering wheel bottom, small spring between here and the cover plate with the three rubber holddown clips, then big spring with small brass cup on top, then bakelite insert that twists in place. Bunch of brass cups left over that do not appear to fit anywhere. Rubber cap goes on top; it has a round plug with a lip in the middle that apparently anchors it into the hole in the bakelite thing. Goes in ok. stays there for a while. Pops out on its own accord at some time, to be retrieved from various places in the cab.

Ok, I am officially dumb. What am I missing? How do I make the rubber cap (the big one that spans the whole hub of the steering wheel) stay in? Silicone?

I've been through the same thing, but it's been a while ago, so my memory is a little faded. If you have teh same model like me: I think you have to insert the rubber cap into the round plastic insert (make sure it snaps in all right), align the insert with the three (?) plastic noses on the metal plate that is screwed onto the steering wheel and push it in to lock it. Align carefully , don't brake the noses (thats why I had to change mine).

Mark

Last edited:

dabtl

That is, apparently, the older style kit. Another simply has a rubber button and a rubber 'tire' that screws into the steering wheel. I find it much easier to install.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............... What am I missing?
....maybe the fact that it is cheap chin-chu-lin stuff....???

How do I make the rubber cap (the big one that spans the whole hub of the steering wheel) stay in? Silicone?
No, better clean well with paint thinner and use instant glue. At least it worked for me when I installed that very same (POS) kit, encountered the same problems, also had to replace the coil spring since it is to stiff...!

G.

jwaller

I bought the same kit and threw it away when it got here. talk about cheap chinese crap. I like what I had better than that stuff.

jmh4x4

I had the same problem with the same kit, kept falling out. To top it off, I fianlly got it to stay put, a couple weeks later at 6:30 am on a saturday, started the truck up and some how the ground connected and the air horn starts sounding, of course when I need it to come apart, it wont, so i end up taking a screw driver to it, and destroy the one part needed to hold it all together. In the process I wake my neighbors up.aua

I'm now looking at doing something different, thinking about getting a push button switch and just mount it to the dash.

dabtl - where did you get that kit at?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks you all for making me feel less like a complete moron!
Here I was thinking, order from a US vendor, you get made in the US quality....silly me! :grin:

Wild Horse Hans

I have a question about new and old style and what kit is for what style. My steering wheel is the old black wheel and I need to redo the horn button on it as it is all missing. Which kit is the correct one?

Lex_Ordo

The kit that Dabtl has a pic of is the New style horn button. It comes in a Kit from Saturn, NOS.
I suggest getting a new horn wire lead as well and replacing it.

It is a very easy replacement.
Remove old horn button, and throw away!

Tie the new wire lead to the old, and pull it through from the bottom of the steering gear box. crimp a ew water proof female connector to the top of the wire lead by the steering wheel. Follow the instruction w/ the NOS kit.
re-connect the bottom of the lead with a waterproof connector to the wire harness and voula!
You're finished.

CMSGT

So I ordered a horn button kit from ODIron. Little plastic bag, a couple of springs, rubber doo-dahs and brass cups. Can't be difficult. Assemble and install.
Half an hour later I am feeling like a moron. TM is no help as it shows a different style horn button assembly.
I finally got it working. Steering wheel bottom, small spring between here and the cover plate with the three rubber holddown clips, then big spring with small brass cup on top, then bakelite insert that twists in place. Bunch of brass cups left over that do not appear to fit anywhere. Rubber cap goes on top; it has a round plug with a lip in the middle that apparently anchors it into the hole in the bakelite thing. Goes in ok. stays there for a while. Pops out on its own accord at some time, to be retrieved from various places in the cab.

Ok, I am officially dumb. What am I missing? How do I make the rubber cap (the big one that spans the whole hub of the steering wheel) stay in? Silicone?
I guess the 5 ton has the same horn assembly as I have lots of springs, rubber doo-dahs and brass cups. I also have a rectangular rubber gasket that I have NO clue as to where that would go. I looked at the tech manuals but the assy is not the same. Atleast after reading this I dont feel so dumb...aside from buying this POS.

jmh4x4

finally gave up messing with the POs kit, this may not be stock, but I took a push button starter switch, re-ran the ground wire to that, zip tied it to the steering column. works like a charm and only cost me $3.50

CMSGT

Well I FINALLY gott that cheap kit to work, it took forever but everything appears to be secure and the horn works fine. I was going to take pictures of how it all went together but once I got it working I was afraid to take it back apart!