• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn Contact Replacement

mead

Hello all. I've been lurking around the website for a couple of weeks, and this is my first post.
First off, many thanks to all those involved with this site. My son bought a 1985 1028 last week, and he and I have already learned a huge amount from this site.
One of several problems we encountered was no horn. After reading many posts, and viewing excellent wiring diagrams, (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?60580-Horn) I concluded it must be the horn contact at fault. Since I couldn't find clearly detailed drawings, or better yet photos, to help me figure out the small details of the horn contact, I thought I'd post some photos from my own repair, in the hopes that it might be helpful to anyone else following the same road. My apologies if this information is redundant.

The first thing we learned is that the horn button is simply pried off. Perhaps that's so elementary that everyone else knows, but we weren't sure until after we'd done it.
I'll detail the reassembly procedure, so obviously the disassembly would be the reverse.
Here's a photo showing the cylinder into which the horn contact parts will go.
photo.jpg
Insert the spring:
photo 5.jpg
then the pin and plastic retainer:
photo 6.jpg
I got the replacement parts at NAPA:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...822_0374189458
The pin in the kit might be too long, and if so can be cut to the right length. I would try it first before cutting it.
You can find illustrations in the Technical Manuals (TM's) here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdi...hnical-Manuals
photo 7.jpg
(When I took it apart, the spring was missing and the pin was installed backwards, so there was obviously no electrical continuity.)
I used the probe of an electrical tester to push in the retainer and rotate it clockwise to engage the small locking pin into its slot in the cylinder.
photo 8.jpg
(The pin was then sticking out about 1/2".)
Next comes the spring, installed convexly, if that's a word. (bulging out, not in as it was when I discovered it).
photo 1.jpg
then the insulator bushing, cup, and retainer screws:
photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Lastly, push the horn button back in place, and you're done! (Ours was broken, so I siliconed it in place.)
photo 4.jpg
I also sanded the rust off of the parts that make the electrical connections.
Thanks again to all the participants of this excellent website. I have been empowered.

p.s. Here's the truck:
Doug's truck.jpg

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Thanks for the write-up. Excellent photos, too.

If it were me, I'd be sorely tempted to clean up that rust and give some of those parts a quick shot of paint.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. That is good information that will be available to help many more members in the future.

mead

I know what you mean about the rust, Marcus. I considered it, but just didn't have the time. At least the rust was cleaned from the electrical connections!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and thank you for the writeup.

Many of us have worked on many things over the years and "assume" that everyone else has also. Sometimes we forget that many people have not had the same experiences. Even the simple things like checking the oil can be confusing.

Thanks again for the write up.

mead

Welcome to the site and thank you for the writeup.

Many of us have worked on many things over the years and "assume" that everyone else has also. Sometimes we forget that many people have not had the same experiences. Even the simple things like checking the oil can be confusing.

Thanks again for the write up.
Thanks, Warthog.
It was your information that led me in the right direction!

Wait, you mean there's oil in that thing?!:-D

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

No need to reply just to subscribe to a thread. At the top of the page, just above the first post on any page, is a menu called, "Thread Tools". Click on that and you'll see where you can subscribe to the thread.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting this! :-D I think the spring in my steering wheel is broken. Could you please post the part numbers for the spring and the pin?

n8roro

Great write up with pictures! There is another contact for the horn that you need to take the steering wheel off to get to if the above does not solve your issue. Pull off the steering wheel, the plastic piece behind it, the steering wheel lock, and the part with the sleeve that holds the contact and spring mentioned by the OP. There is another sleeve attached to the turn signal plastic innards that gets a contact with a spring like the one in the OP, but no plastic retainer is needed. This piece was missing for me ads well as the other one.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mead. My pin was also installed backwards. I hear the relay working now. Time to find out where the next problem is. Should he easy now.

Update
Cleaned up the connection and ground on the horn and now it works.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks