• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn Not Working, New Relay Bad?

renovate7

I've been trouble shooting the horn not working on this 1008 since I got it. Took a while to figure out the Service Light toggle has to be on, pays to read the manuals. I'm to the point now if I jump a wire between two of the terminals where the relay plugs in the horn works. I've got a new relay but the horn button won't make the horn blow. I took the horn contacts apart on the steering wheel and cleaned them. Even tried a jumper wire with this mechanism off, no horn. Will a test light on the third terminal of the relay socket light up if I use the horn button? Any way to tell if I've got connection between the horn button and relay, or if the new relay is bad?View attachment File.PDF

61sleepercab

It is possible that new relay is a dud also. If you jump wired the old and new relay and the horn blows both times, then your new relay is bad. Parts are a crap shoot these days when you might have to mount 3 or 4 starters or alternators just to get one that works. Mark

renovate7

Not realizing, at the time, that the toggle had to be on, I just "assumed" the old relay was bad. I'd already replaced several relays for various components to get them working properly. I'm going to see if I can find the old one and try it.

61sleepercab

Forgot to add that you can take test light and check horn circuit which usually connects a ground on the switch side of the relay to energize the relay to power the horn. If it is a ground horn button system you can use a good ground and ground the horn button terminal and if the relay and wires to horn are good then it should blow. Watch for rusty connections and bad grounds on this old stuff. Mark