• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn problems

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had one of the deuces with horn problems, wouldn't "blow" very loud and only with one tone. Thought it was a bad solenoid, swapped it out, and still does the same thing. Plenty of air getting to the horn, so the air supply isn't the problem. Nothing obvious stuck in the bells of the horn, ???

Also, I dropped the tiny spring outta the inside of the old solenoid. Does anyone have a spare, or know the size of the spring so I can get another at the hardware store?

Capt.Marion

Your horns might have some gunk up in them. I'm thinking old paint etc... in the back plates... pull them apart and take a look. Thank the lord that they're not complicated.

steelandcanvas

Mike, I totally dis-assembled my horns a few weeks ago, to try a figure out why they were intermittent and at a reduced volume. I found all kinds of gunk inside the noise producing end of the horns. Cleaned everything up, re-assembled, and was good to go. Put on a set of ear protection and tune with the little Allen head screws. My intermittent operation problem was caused by a break in the wire, just under the steering wheel, one strand was all that was left on the wire. My son and I dis-assembled the steering wheel switch and pulled the wire out through the steering box. I had to solder a short piece of wire to the button end, then spliced it to the long end with a sta-kon butt crimp. We then slid a piece of shrink tubing over the butt splice, and shrunk in place. I've heard so horror stories about people not being able to get the wire back up the steering column, however a piece a stiff wire solved that problem, as we were able to "fish" the wire right back up. Hope this helps and you find your spring, we went at this real blind, as we didn't even break the TM out.
As I re-read this I thought I might clear something up. If you need to fix your steering column wire, pull the wire out as you probably won't have room to do the splice addition. Splice a short piece on, then pull the wire back up the column. Now you can attatch the button piece from the driver's seat and re-assemble. The button piece will not fit through the steering column. Don't ask me how I know this. :oops: Good Luck!

digitaldust

can the horn wires get put on the wrong post on the horn solenoid ?
is one wire ground and other hot plugging into the horns?

someone spliced the wires together as in source wires and plugs all together the horn was working like that
then It stopped. so i looked into wiring it lead wire to plug thru to the horn so i ended up with 2 wires and 2 plugs
but the horn was stuck blowing. So I dumped the air tanks. unplugged the horn wires.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine acted up the other day and i took the air line off the horns and sprayed some WD-40 in the line and buttoned it back up....a couple blows of the horn and it was all better ;)

pick

Mine started blowing as soon as I started the engine and quit after about 30-40- lbs. of air built up. Then it won,t blow at all. After reading all the replies, I,m going to take apart the selenoid. Hope thats the trouble. Thanks fellows!!!

ZRacer

My horn hasn't worked since I got my deuce. :cry:

I have traced air and electrical lines - everything seemed ok. Just yesterday the horn seemed to work for about 1/4 of a second when I hit the horn button, then quit (there was a sound, a definite horn sound but not loud and then nothing). I took the rubber cap off the horn button, but it appears that you must need some special tool to remove the horn button - there are two very small slits which look like they need some kind of spanner??? :?:

I'm not 100% sure that the button is the problem, but there is power and air getting to the horn itself. Where is the solenoid to check? :?:

kwiksilver

The bells unscrew right out of the horn assembly so you can peak in there. follow the wire from the steering box and ground it out. the horn will sound when you get ground. don't do it without the bells screwed on. You will go deaf. when you unscrew the solenoid be carefull cause there is a tiny spring behind the plunger.

Flyingvan911

Mine started blowing as soon as I started the engine and quit after about 30-40- lbs. of air built up. Then it won,t blow at all. After reading all the replies, I,m going to take apart the selenoid. Hope thats the trouble. Thanks fellows!!!
Talk about a low air alarm. "Get out of the way. My driver has no brakes!!!"

Kohburn

only problem with mine is poor connection at the button - looks like someone used a screw driver to scrape corrosion off the brass pieces to get it to work. it is intermitent right now, lost the spring inside the button though so i no horn till i get a replacement spring.

Anyone know about what gauge wire to use when repairing the horn wire? mine got sliced open while re-inserting the steering gear into the box the other day, need to sodder in about 3-4 inches of new wire. and as usual (at least from what ive seen so far) the boots on each end of the wire are split, but still enclose the ends.

thanks guys
James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks