• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

horn stuck in traffic

serp

took deuce for a short ride today. made a right onto main street and horn went off. drove 1/4 mi went left into parking lot jumped out opened hood and pulled connection off horn . horn was heard 1/2 mile away at friends gas station. they had no idea what was going on ,traffic was stopped. people staring. why me..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In New Jersey, not in one of those towns where they sound the air raid alarm every time there is a fire for the volunter firemen, I hope. :)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh man that stinks! It's not like the deuce has a little econobox "meep-meep" horn either. I once had my car alarm go off in my '73 Super Beetle while I was driving down the road. That sucker went off all the way until I could pop the lid and clip the siren wires! :D

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Pinched wire in the steering column causing it to ground? Seems plausible since it came on as you were making a turn.

ojsdna744

:roll: That happened to me the other night, although my horn button just stuck down. (I think because it was very cold out?) Went to honk goodbye to my guy that opened my gate here @ the store for me, horn button stuck down. Stopped out by a major road in front of the store, pushing the horn button all sorts of different ways to try and get it to release. All four lanes in the road in front of the store came to a halt. I guess they thought maybe I was trying to "make a hole?" rofl

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just got our horn working yesterday on the wrecker, it was real loud with one working then the other one kicked in, hard to believe how loud it actually is!
James G.

Lax

Wow! I had the same thing happened to me last weekend! First time ever. I was on my way to visit Magnus580 and it started in the neighborhood at home. :oops:

I started to panic and look around like "oh this is not good. I had just pulled up to my dad's house and thought I would give him a little blast on the horn to have him come out so we could get going. Well there I sat with the horn blaring. I just turned the truck off and let the tanks run out. It only seemed like an hour or two. It was actually pretty funny now that I think about it because me dad came out of the house and really gave it to me. "What the hell is the big hurry??!!" rofl He thought I was laying on the horn to make him hurry! Hahaha. It was pretty funny. He must have thought my butt was on fire or something. Haha.

Well it finally stops and away we go. On the way to Magnus's house it went off a couple times but just for a few seconds. I get to Magnus's house we do our thing and I'm ready to leave. I'm parked about 25 feet from his house. The house that his two little boys just started their nap in. Guess what? Uncle Lax just woke up the whole world with his magic horn as I start to pull away. I'm just looking at Magnus and laughing with both hands in the air as proof I was not blowing the horn. He looks at me like I must be the Titanic pulling away from port with all horns blaring. (Sorry Mike)

He must have thought I was nuts driving down the road with the horn going on and off like I was in the Rose Bowl parade. What can I say? My horn...blows. :cookoo:

mangus580

Sounds like the wire running down the column is shorting somewhere.... Horn buttons almost all ground the connection to activiate.

houdel

I agree with the pinched wire in the steering column thought. Same thing happened when my OCS unit was traveling from Camp Curtis Guild to Boston to march in the Patriot's Day Parade (a legal holiday in MA). About halfway there, the lead Deuce developed a short in the horn wire. For the next 20 or so miles, every time the driver moved the steering wheel the horn would blow. We had no place and no time to stop enroute, so it wasn't until we got to the parade staging area that the driver could stop his Deuce and pull the connector off the horn solenoid. We did have a good laugh over it though!

Towman2277

Were I live, we have the afternoon lady joggers going up and down the avenues, getting their daily exercise. Every time I pass one, I lay on the horn and give them a little "pep in their step"! Had one chase me once for three blocks! Scary ordeal!! (I bet the local armory gets all kinds of complaints!!)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
My horn quit working. I tried messing with little allen screws on the back to get a deeper sound and now I just get a raspy sea lion type noise. Havent been able to tune it back to normal yet and have had a couple idiots cut me off that needed some horn up their butt.

tbrenner

Happened to me one time when I was still in the guards. Everytime I took a right turn the horn would go off and its not like you can fly around corners with with these things ether. Kinda makes you stand out in the croud. :?

devilman96

My horn quit working. I tried messing with little allen screws on the back to get a deeper sound and now I just get a raspy sea lion type noise. Havent been able to tune it back to normal yet and have had a couple idiots cut me off that needed some horn up their butt.
Pull off the back cover and check for trash around the reeds then try retuning it...

Changing the wire is easy... it runs the length of the column from the button out the bottom of the gear box to plug into the main harness with the Mil butt connectors on both ends. Remember to tie on a piece of string and pull it through as your pulling out your old wire... If you are good at soldering and shrink tubing you can reuse the ends (its a pain) or just buy the wire from Memphis or the likes... I cant see that being more than 10 bucks.