• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn stuck on, diode problem

dependable

Had a problem with a non-working horn on a GL purchase CUCV today. Fuse had been removed. When I put in fuse, horn stuck on. Removed horn relay. Still the horn was on. I suspected a short in harness, removed electrical tape just above horn relay. There is a diode there, in the horn relay plug. I cut the diode, problem solved. I wonder what other electrical glitches in the CUCVs are caused by failed diodes, which I believe are for radio noise suppression. I checked my civilian 6.2 s and they do not have a diode there. This might tie in to Warthog's excellent posts about wire harness, as he has already located a lot of the diodes.

Bobert

I just fixed my horn too. It never worked, I think mine was burnt out. Is the diode you are taking about just looped from the power wire to the outgoing horn wire on the relay?

I couldn't figure out why it was there since it sent 12v all the time to the horn. I wonder if this is the same for all of them.

dieselpony

In opposite to lights, wipers etc. the horn is switched with the negative side. When pressing the horn button the circuit is grounded.

I assume the diode is to not cause trouble with military parts like communication or radio equipment. Like the ones at the wiper motor or on the back of Gen 2.

Walter

Sardot1

I developed this problem after having electrical issues that turned out to be just two shot batteries. Replaced the batteries and my horn was stuck on. Pulled the fuse to quiet it. That was last year. Finally got around to researching it today and found this thread....Thanks!

The best I could tell, the diode did look fried, so I cut it. The horn quit but it still did not work when I pressed the horn button, just the relay clicked. This is where having a spare truck comes in handy...I swapped the relay out and the problem was fixed. Now I just have to buy a new relay for the other truck!

Seems that I fried both the relay and the diode, or one caused the other to fail.

Sergiopc

Ok I am having this issue and I have read all of your replys.... Are you all talking about that thing right under the horn???? I cut that out and still not working or if I hook up that thing it just stays on..... I have been looking for other things in line and could not find anything... any one have Pic's of this diode.... Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not cross post.

MarcusOReallyus

Ok I am having this issue and I have read all of your replys.... Are you all talking about that thing right under the horn???? I cut that out and still not working or if I hook up that thing it just stays on..... I have been looking for other things in line and could not find anything... any one have Pic's of this diode.... Thanks
There's a sticky with pictures; just look for it at the top of the forum. The stickies are very helpful. That's why they are there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks