• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hose and Cable Lengths?? AC and Batteries

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need knowledge.

Without arguing about the ‘why’ I need our experts to help me understand.

1. For an AC system what is the maximum hose length from compressor to evaporator and condenser?

I am considering experimenting with an electric compressor (similar to what is in RV). This would be mounted in the truck bed and would be powered from the 24V system (I am running 200amp generator). The evaporator is in the front of cabin just like OEM. The condenser could be mounted in the rear wells. I understand the Reddot systems run the evaporator/condenser in the back with the compressor in engine bay so I have to think it would be ‘ok’. But really want to understand the science of this and learn.

2. Similar question but having to do with lengths of electric cables, ie from the generator to the compressor in back??

3. Am thinking of also putting both batteries in the back bed as well so want to understand what are the reasonable and/or maximum lengths of cable I would run from the generator to the back bed. I can always have a bus panel in the original position of the batteries to run whatever was there originally. SO this would be the cables to the generator as well as the starter, etc.

Thanks for any knowledge.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1)There is no real maximum hose length. Of course, shorter hoses are better, but all it really does is makes it so you need slightly more refrigerant in the system (but in a vehicle you probably wouldn't notice the difference)
The RED DOT aircon systems have the compressor in the front, the evaporator mounted inside, and the condenser mounted in the back, sometimes on the very back on helmet hard top trucks. There shouldn't be any issues with it as long as it's all mounted to the same vehicle and you aren't running dozens of feet of extra hose just for the fun of it.

2) the longer an electrical cable is, the larger it will need to be in order to carry the same amount of current without affecting voltage.

3)The cables in the truck should be something like 2/0 gauge; that size should be sufficient for putting the batteries pretty much anywhere in the truck.
The starter is the only thing I'd worry about sizing the cables for; the generator output is lower than starter draw.

If you are mounting both the batteries and the aircon compressor in the back, then you don't need to worry about the cable length for voltage drop so much.

There are lots of voltage calculators out there that let you plug in the numbers for what distance and amps, and will tell you the recommended cable size.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Impossible question to answer, this would depend on component placement and routing of cables and hoses.
if you need to know how much, run string in Liu of actual hoses and cable, then measure the string length upon removal

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Impossible question to answer, this would depend on component placement and routing of cables and hoses.
if you need to know how much, run string in Liu of actual hoses and cable, then measure the string length upon removal
Thank you….Agree. I was going to do that to get ideal placement.

Wanted to get ahead of it to see if there is a ideal number. For electrical for example likely will have to go down in gauge which may make run moredifficult or impossible, ie bending a tight corner.

For the AC didn’t know if condenser lines are more length sensitive versus evaporator.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As above I don't think extended lines are a problem, if the evap to compressor line is in the cabin you may have to insulate it as they sometimes sweat, usually not a problem if they are outside the cabin.
You can run the gen lead to the starter instead of the batteries, except for the 14V lead of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks