• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hose Job

JRBAMATEX

Hunting season is just around the corner and I have decided to keep the deuce at the hunting lease this year during season. Plan to bring it home sometime in February. Since I will be driving it 150 miles away and it will need to be READY each weekend when I show up. Or at least each weekend that I am able to show up (married guys with hunting leases, you know what I mean). I have spent a little time on some PM work.
I installed new hoses and double T-Bolt clamps on all the “hard to get to, need it to stay put for ever” locations and new belts. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and although it works fine I must say I miss the certainty of the mechanical gauge I had temporaried in for a while. I replaced the in tank fuel pump with a brandy new one I got from TNJ Murrary. (Thanks for the recommendations from members of this site on the TNJ Murray deal. Much better than Memphis on price.) Some time ago I made some homemade shifter boots and installed them so when I was taking pic’s today I snapped a couple of those as well. I loaded the steering gear with Lucas grease today and gave it a good bath. It’s funny that I can tell when it’s clean but my wife says it look the same to her. I took it for a 20 mile spin today and it seems to be running really good. That always makes me nervous, but what can you do?
Anyway, I took some pics and thought I post em.

Attachments

JRBAMATEX

New fuel, oil and air filters last year and not much driving since. Had a full tank of fuel so just dropped in the new pump. No gunk dumpage this time. Heater hoses are in pretty good shape also easy to get to so they don't scare me as much as far as long trips and then sitting for a while then lease driving then long trip home. Heater hose is easier to deal with on the road if necessary.

JRBAMATEX

I agree wreckerman. I am a little nervous about that. The members on our lease all keep vehicles out there but they aren't six wheel drive army trucks. My plan it to take out the center link between the batteries and chain the steering wheel when I am not there. I can't think of much more I can do than that. I will also have the tool box and battery box locked.

acetomatoco

bling... I would replace the radiator cap with a nice new one..just in case the pressure relief is lazy on the old one...that is what blows hoses... Tire pressures at spec... including the inside duals and the spare?? got your inflating hose with you..???? Spare light bulbs...??

JRBAMATEX

The hoses and belts took about a day and a half. First day took it all apart (Grill removal, radiator removal, belts removed, hoses removed, water jackets [aluminum things on top of heads] removed and the gasket material cleaned off. Then ran down to Stuart Hose in Fort Worth to get the T-Bolt hose clamps that I had called in earlier. Came home and found that I had the wrong sizes. Day two went back to Stuart hose and got the right sizes came home and started putting it all back together. Day three finished up. Soooo… If I had not had to run back and forth to Stuart for the clamps I would have been about a day and a half.

Didn’t have to remove the manifold. I did however have to remove what the folks at Memphis refer to as Water Jackets (the crooked aluminum things that bolt to and deliver water through the heads). Was worried about getting them back on without having to remove the valve covers. It actually worked out better than I thought. One of the fine members here recommended that I use some WD40 to help slide the jackets back into the hoses. Low & behold that little piece of advice worked like a champ.

I was also worried about getting the compressor pulley off. Devilman96 gave me some basic I could’ve had a V8 advice and the pulley was no challenge. Just take the bolts out spray some penetrant on it and GENTLY work the ears apart a little and the front of the pulley will spin like a merry go round.

I went with the double clamps for two reasons. First the last time I had a hose blow off I put two of the worm screw clamps on and have had no issues. Then when I started putting everything back together I realized that now not only did I have the right clamps but I had plenty of them. So, I said “what the heck. I’ll clamp the SHnot out of these hoses.” So they all got double clamped except for the water jackets. (not enough room to work for two there. But the T-bolts are really good and double clamps are really way overkill. But it’s like that scene in Forest Gump when he says that “Lt. Dan invested us in some fruit company or something (read Apple Computers) and we ain’t got to worry about money no more. And I said good. That’s one less thing.” Well the hoses are one less thing to worry about now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks