• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hose Reel Inside M923 Toolbox

nf6x

Feral Engineer
One of the mods I'm considering for my M923 is a self-retracting air hose reel for tire inflation and so forth. I've seen a few threads where folks have done that. I'd like to mount the reel inside one of the toolboxes both for security and to keep it cleanish.

Unfortunately, both toolboxes are only about 14" high inside, and most of the interesting hose reels I've seen are over 20" high. The approximate internal dimensions I measured are:

Front box: 14"H x 25"W x 16-3/8"D with 11"H x 21"W opening

Rear box: 14"H x 34"W x 21"D with 9"H x 34"W opening​

So, this suggests two options to me:

1) A compact hose reel:

This one is very compact, and should fit nicely in either toolbox:

The downside is that the maximum hose length is just 25', and I'd need to use a 1/4" ID hose to get that length. That should be fine for tire inflation, but I think it wouldn't run air tools as well. It appears to have a plastic bushing in the fairlead rather then the roller type in many of the larger reels. I wonder whether that would give me any problems since I'd always be using the hose along a line perpendicular to the plane of the reel.

Have any of y'all used one of the reels from this series? If so, any comments? Particularly in a vehicular installation where it'll get a lot of vibration...​

2) Horizontal mounting:

All of the manufacturer pictures, diagrams and manuals I've seen so far show various mounting options, but the reel is always oriented vertically. Do these things work OK if mounted horizontally? And even if they'll work OK, will they survive off-road use in a 6x6 without shaking to pieces? Most of them don't look to me like they would handle vibration in that axis very well.​

I plan to use a quality reel in any case, but I welcome any suggestions on what might work well vs. poorly. I also welcome recommendations of brands to prefer or avoid for this kind of application.

emr

It seems to me the tool boxs are just big enough to hold the needed tools, i personally like the idea of the hose being able to be free and compact, just my 2 cents, a hose reel although cool, just wont get the use in my mind to take up so much space, Take into account my ideas that i am one of those purists who like as much as possible to be official military, But It is a cool idea, is there room up under the bed behind the pintle where it would be safe and only need a dust shield to keep mud off and the hose could stick out above the pintle, just thinking out loud... Good luck...

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was pointed out to me the other day that the rear most toolbox on the 923 should be taller as a lot of that space is wasted. How about sectioning that box and making it taller? Not a big job. Considering doing it myself.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hmm, good idea. Or, since my welding skills are very primitive, I could just replace it with a larger prefab under-bed truck box? I have some other modifications in mind for the boxes, anyway. I'd like to rig the cab doors to be key-lockable, and one of my hare-brained schemes is to go all the way with commercial door locks, toolbox locks and keyed ignition, all keyed alike. I downloaded a manual from TriMark with all of their commercial truck door lock products.

TriMark Corporation - Latch, Handle, Linkage, Electronic, Hinge, Vehicle door hardware

I'd also like to add a knuckleboom someday, so I don't want to do anything that would get in the way of that if I can help it. Even though I already spent real money putting a brand new cargo cover kit on a bed that will probably need to be cut or replaced in order to fit the crane... :whistle:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking the same as you. I think a standard residential deadbolt can be fitted to the truck doors very easy, and keyed alike to your house door. Also your toolbox padlocks can be replaced with locks from McMaster-Carr that can also be keyed to your house key. I haven't figured out how to key the ignition to the house key but that's coming!

pevrs114

How about plumbing hard lines along the inside of the frame rails, with access ports at the front, rear, and midships? Then you could have a length of hose that you store in the toolbox that you take with you, to which ever port you need to use?

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've seen adapters that fit the front and rear gladhands, that allow you to connect an airhose. This way, the majority of the work has already been done for you.

Just thinking out loud.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
The front/rear emergency glad hands are the usual air supply, and the truck's Basic Issue Items (BII) include a 20' hose with a glad hand at one end and an inflator with gauge at the other end. Here's the one that came with my truck:

IMG_1828.jpg

I've seen these hoses on eBay recently, if you want to get one for your truck. It's also easy to make hoses and adapters for the glad hands. Glad hands are available at any truck parts supplier, and they're cheap.

The goal of the self-retracting hose reel is just to make it quicker and easier to deploy and stow the hose.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the hose I use on the glad hands, but the hose reel is a good idea.
But I would hate to lose the tool box space.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nf6x...since my truck is a tractor I just plumbed a 1/2" hard line from the old trailer emergency air valve. The hard line connects with a flexible line to the original valve and runs along the bed front bulkhead. It terminates with a 1/2" quick disconnect fitting at the driver's side of the truck. I have further engineered it so I can cut in an 8gal. air pig for more volume. I made two transition fittings; 1/2"-3/8" and 1/2"-1/4" and I have 30 ft. of 1/2" hose that I custom made. I have used my 3/4" impact off this line and successfully changing all ten tires.

I also have that same glad hand/hose/filler gauge set up you have. I just modified with quick disconnects at both ends.

Sorry, slightly off topic. I agree with losing the space issue. I just coil my hoses up and secure them with Velcro straps.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks