• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hose running down from turbo resting against front axle?

big hoss

There is a hose running from the turbo down to the front axle its not connected to the axle, its about an inch and a half in diameter i was wondering what its for.

TheWeatherMan

I think you are talking about the breather hose (I think thats what its called) Its not part of the turbo, its just kinda attached to it. Mine usually spits some oil every so often

mightymanx

As Pistons move up and down in a crank case this cause a breathing effect that pumps air in and out of the crank case that pressure has to go somewhere so they put a vent there to keep from blowing seals and causing other nasty problems.

All your newer vehicles vent this to the aircleaner and use a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. But this is an older vehicle so they vent it to the ground.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it would be neat to have some sort of PCV system on the truck though so it didnt smoke on the ground like it does. i think cranetrucks LDS 465-2 has his breather running in his exhaust pipe after the turbo (maybe to simplify fording?). i wonder if anybody has done that mod to their deuce. i dont think it would be a worth while mod for me as mine does not smoke much. thats not to say somebody else wouldnt want to do it just to expirament.

big hoss

Im planing on using the deuce for many things and one of thoes things is offroading and probley through some water will it suck water up the tube? and if it does how high can a get the tube before it stops doing its job properly

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im planing on using the deuce for many things and one of thoes things is offroading and probley through some water will it suck water up the tube? and if it does how high can a get the tube before it stops doing its job properly
If it's just to prevent pressure build up, height or lenth shouldn't matter. I'd think rerouting it into the intake side would be better as there could be some gases in the tube that would possibly add a smidge of power. Seems like venting it to the exhaust side could possibly add a bit more smoke or oil build up in the pipe.

kastein

I have been considering rerouting mine into the intake (between the air filter and the turbo) also, since it spits a decent amount of oil occasionally. Probably will do so when reassembling next time I have the top end apart.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It can be routed back into the intake, just make sure there's a catch can assembly in line to help catch any oils before they enter the turbo inlet. Having a run away engine you can't shut down isn't fun...

treeguy

I also had the same thought, why isn't it attatched to the intake for burning the vapor that comes out and not waste it. But somewhere along the line some one said that this could seriously add to a run away diesel situation. Think about it, engine running, you pull the fuel stop handle, fuel is cut but you are still producing vapor for a quick period before shut down and this gets sucked in to the intake and poof she will fire back up because by now you have pushed the full shut off handle back in.

I think that routing the slobber tube to the exhaust is a way better choice if you don't want to constantly lube your front axle and pass. side spring pack. If you put it into the air cleaner you will mud up the air filter. The tube on the inboard side of the air cleaner housing/bowl is to run a tube to the intake of the air compressor for fording/keeping the air compressor fed with clean air.

If the slobber tube is vented to the atmosphere you can also gauge how much blow by is getting by your rings on the pistons. (I believe but don't quote me on that)

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would the oil coming from the slobber tube (or oily mist) cause junk to build on the vanes of the turbo though and cause the turbo not to run efficient? thats my only thought there, but that way the smoke wouldnt be going out the exhaust... humm... sounds like a good idea though :confused:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's wrong with it in stock form?

ODdave

Putting it in the exahust is nothing new. Do it all the time on hi-po engines. They make special SCAVANGING valves for this. They are basicaly a one way check valve. You can find them in summit.

Tlauden

you pull the fuel stop handle, fuel is cut but you are still producing vapor for a quick period before shut down and this gets sucked in to the intake and poof she will fire back up because by now you have pushed the full shut off handle back in.

thats why you dont put it back in until your ready to start it again8)

Excuse my ignorance on this subject but will the little bit of smoke coming out the slobber tube help improve anything buy routing it back to the intake? I like the routing it to the exhaust with a "slobber catch" for the oil drippings but if routing it to the intake helps engine performance it seems like it would be a easy worthy mod

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks