• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hot Front Bearings?

oldshep

We did the front passenger side seals and repacked the bearings today. Wasnt too hard at all. So i drove my truck to town tonight and when i got home i could feel some heat in the lock out hub. The driver side hub was cool. Do i just need to back the nut off a little bit? We adjusted the nut the same as the rear axle. I could not find a torque spec. specific to the front axle anywhere. Does anyone know what it should be? Thanks for youre input!:-D

And btw. My hands were too greasy to take pictures:cry:. Sry guys...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it is far too tight. Repack and adjust.

:ditto:

I think the TM says adjust by feel. I'm pretty sure the only torque spec is for the jam nut.

The wheel should spin freely by hand when you are done but no so loose that there is movement from side to side.

Keith_J

Torque on wheel bearings? Never for the final fit. Remember, the nuts are FREE TURNING which means there is a slight bit of slop in the threads. When you tighten the inner nut, the bearing is snug BUT the nut is jammed on the outside. Snugging down that outer nut now forces it inward, making the bearing even tighter. Normal rolling stress tends to loosen the left, this is why you got away with the port side.

oldshep

we torqued the inner nut to 50 ft lbs then backed off the nut an 1/8th turn. idk. ill back it off a little tomarrow then ill see how it does.