• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hot in Arizona

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Update:
I have been flushing the cooling system on and off. I am still getting muck out but the truck continues to run hot. When I went to change the oil I’m pretty sure I discovered why it’s having trouble. It appears the previous owner at some point decided to use the oil pan as a jack location. After draining the oil I could verify the mesh for the pick up was right against the bottom of the pan.
Fingers crossed that it hasn’t been damaged yet but my next check I’ll be ordering an oil pan/gasket. I would normally just try to beat an oil pan back into shape but my pan has some rust and I worry that I’ll pop holes in the process.
Don’t suppose anyone has an oil pan just sitting around?
I have a lot more questions and all the stuff I’m finding in here regarding power steering or overdrive/transmission options mostly lead to dead ends. I love this truck and I’m willing to spend whatever it takes to rebuild the drivetrain as it’s been badly beaten and neglected… but I have a medical condition that make steering this truck for more than 10 mins a serious challenge and with where I live, I need to be able to at least do 60mph. Should I just give up and sell it? I’m not in a financial position to reposed it with a more modern engine to accept a better transmission. Help me out here fellas.
I have to agree with the previous posts about speed and a big military truck. Going fast just isn't what it was made for. Don't know if you have ever overtaken a military convoy on the interstate or not... I have always noticed them running in the right lane somewhere between 45 and 50. I'm sure somebody has the official number and obviously the Convoy speed has to allow for the slowest truck.

I just made a run up the mountain this past weekend. A much newer but much bigger truck. I ran 55 with the other vehicles with a lot of room in front of me. When the speed limit changed to 65, I could stay with the other vehicles, but traffic was light and I ran 60. When the speed limit went to 70, I stayed in the right lane, occasionally making 65 - but my heart just wasn't in it. I could have made 70, but I wasn't causing a traffic problem - so I didn't. So, you can get a truck that will go fast. Question is do you really need to?

Who Knows... Maybe I'm Chicken.

The run back down the mountain was uneventful as well. Down the new version of I-26 (Made nice in 2003) has a 7% grade. Truck limit 55, Cars 65. Right lane with the exhaust brake on. Everyone behaved well and it was smooth sailing. I didn't get into anything exciting until I made it to Highway 74 at Kings Mountain. All the normal IDIOTS where they need to squeeze in between me and another truck or car, people changing lanes and stomping the brakes. All the normal stuff that people should know better than to do. My truck at 29,000 pounds and with a steel bumper "they aught not to do that". No different than a fully loaded tractor and trailer at 80,000 pounds but we all know they don't know and don't care. Makes you understand how easy it is to get a Prius for a hood ornament.

Last edited:

ToddJK

I'll say this, normally I like to cruise 55mph, but occasionally I'll go 60. This past Saturday, on the interstate, heading towards OH from MI, two sections along I-96 and one section along US-23 was absolutely terrible with patch work. I had to slow down to 50 and a couple times 45mph, the truck was bouncing around so bad. At one point, I felt my rear end kick out, like what happens to a pickup truck on a dirt road when you hit the chatter bumps, that just about landed a pile of pudding in my underpants and could've been on the news with a headline "MV flipped over on interstate, multiple car pile up . . ." I was only going about 58-60 when it happened and between some things shifting in the back and the bumps, that was bad news, lol. Luckily I caught it and kept it under control. Keep in mind, it still did this with over 3000lbs in the back, empty it would bounce even more.

If you love your truck, by all means keep it. Everyman has a soft spot for something he loves, but just know it's limitations. If you got the money, buy and install the air assist steering or see if there's a mechanic in your area who can and get it done. If your concerned about fast traffic, run some amber strobe lights on the rear to indicate to others "use caution".

rustystud

I have to agree with the previous posts about speed and a big military truck. Going fast just isn't what it was made for. Don't know if you have ever overtaken a military convoy on the interstate or not... I have always noticed them running in the right lane somewhere between 45 and 50. I'm sure somebody has the official number and obviously the Convoy speed has to allow for the slowest truck.

I just made a run up the mountain this past weekend. A much newer but much bigger truck. I ran 55 with the other vehicles with a lot of room in front of me. When the speed limit changed to 65, I could stay with the other vehicles, but traffic was light and I ran 60. When the speed limit went to 70, I stayed in the right lane, occasionally making 65 - but my heart just wasn't in it. I could have made 70, but I wasn't causing a traffic problem - so I didn't. So, you can get a truck that will go fast. Question is do you really need to?

Who Knows... Maybe I'm Chicken.

The run back down the mountain was uneventful as well. Down the new version of I-26 (Made nice in 2003) has a 7% grade. Truck limit 55, Cars 65. Right lane with the exhaust brake on. Everyone behaved well and it was smooth sailing. I didn't get into anything exciting until I made it to Highway 74 at Kings Mountain. All the normal IDIOTS where they need to squeeze in between me and another truck or car, people changing lanes and stomping the brakes. All the normal stuff that people should know better than to do. My truck at 29,000 pounds and with a steel bumper "they aught not to do that". No different than a fully loaded tractor and trailer at 80,000 pounds but we all know they don't know and don't care. Makes you understand how easy it is to get a Prius for a hood ornament.
That is so funny you are mentioning the "idiots" who love to jump in front of your truck at speed too !
When I was still working at the Transit department, I had to drive the wrecker to retrieve broken down buses. The wrecker is 40ft long and the articulated buses are 60ft long . With the tow bar between them that makes the total length about 106 feet long. We are only allowed to go 50MPH on the freeway. Even at that it takes a "really long" time to stop.
Every time I had to go out and get a bus, some "IDIOT" would feel the need to jump in front of me since I was going so slow. There was this one time when this moron jumped in front of me and slammed on his brakes due to traffic slowing down. I came within inches off his bumper. I had my hand on the air horn the whole time I was braking. I think the guy dropped a load in his pants. The look on his face was pure terror ! I could see it in his rear-view mirrors. Maybe he learned his lesson, but I doubt it.
I just wish there had been a State Trooper there to witness it and then give the moron a ticket.
My co-driver at the time was laughing at him. He told me I should have just rammed him. I know I could have with no consequences for me, but I could have killed him and who wants that on their conscience?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is so funny you are mentioning the "idiots" who love to jump in front of your truck at speed too !
When I was still working at the Transit department, I had to drive the wrecker to retrieve broken down buses. The wrecker is 40ft long and the articulated buses are 60ft long . With the tow bar between them that makes the total length about 106 feet long. We are only allowed to go 50MPH on the freeway. Even at that it takes a "really long" time to stop.
Every time I had to go out and get a bus, some "IDIOT" would feel the need to jump in front of me since I was going so slow. There was this one time when this moron jumped in front of me and slammed on his brakes due to traffic slowing down. I came within inches off his bumper. I had my hand on the air horn the whole time I was braking. I think the guy dropped a load in his pants. The look on his face was pure terror ! I could see it in his rear-view mirrors. Maybe he learned his lesson, but I doubt it.
I just wish there had been a State Trooper there to witness it and then give the moron a ticket.
My co-driver at the time was laughing at him. He told me I should have just rammed him. I know I could have with no consequences for me, but I could have killed him and who wants that on their conscience?
Yes Sir!
And quite often - when that stuff happens - there are bite marks on the seat!

DREAD KT

you'll never see a safe 60mph. you need power steering, and fix the other issues. I would sell it instead of dumping 3-4K into power steering, possibly a new radiator, and still be only able to drive 50mph max safely.
Yikes! 60 mph in a Deuce is white-knuckle for me! I drove my M109A4 from Raleigh, NC to San Antonio, TX in 4 days and maxed out at 56 mph. That is a very scary speed in that thing. On another trip to Nova Scotia Canada from Raleigh I unintentionally managed to get up on 3 wheels on an exit ramp doing 30 mph near Washington, DC. I don't like going over 45 mph for safety, especially since the M109 has a much higher center of gravity.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to a tire size-speed calculator I looked up, going from a 9.00R20 (40" diameter) to a 395/85R20 (46" diameter) adds 15% to whatever the truck's speedometer is showing. So if you have an M35 (not A3) that goes from the stock tires to the 395s you're doing about 58 mph when your speedometer is showing 50 mph.
I'm thinking 9.00's are 38".

And this number provides calculations/predictions that are more in line with my comparison of GPS speedo with M35A2 speedo with 395's.

rustystud

My M54A1 w/14.00-20's does 59.9 mph @ 2100 rpm (governed Mack ENDT-673 & GPS readout).

Very tiring, just maintaining the concentration necessary on good roads up there.

55 is much more comfy.
Yes !!! It is so tiring to maintain that level of concentration for hours. Just driving to Eastern Washington having to go over the Cascade Mountains can wipe me out . The Deuce is not a "cruiser" by any means. Even when I was still a young man in the Marines, having to drive the Deuce for more than 4 hours straight would wear me out mentally. I've had to rethink my "Great Alaskan Adventure" . I had planned on only taking two weeks to go to Fairbanks. Now I think it will take over a month, maybe more.

getheated

The speed of 60 mph was a relative number I pulled out of the air but my reason for pulling it is I live in an extremely rural area far from any “right lanes” to stay in. My deuce struggles to do 45 and it takes awhile on flat land to get there. The fact that allowable passing areas are very few, has led to several near misses and one direct hit as someone tried to pass and jerk back in front of me before getting hit head on. I essentially P.I.T. maneuvered him without doing anything and nearly ran over top of him broadside. My deuce was 100% fine ofc.
I don’t really mind 45 mph so much. But people these days are getting dumber and crazier!
I will likely commit a major sin and repower with a Cummins and put an Allison 13 speed on it. But ONLY if I’m not satisfied with doing the super 6 swap first. Even that is only a distant pipe dream for me right now.

ToddJK

Well unfortunately we can't control knuckleheads and their impatience, but a faster cruising speed is understandable. One alternative is to adjust the fuel setting so the motor has a little more power. Add a pyro meter to keep an eye on exhaust temps. If you find some 11r 20 NDT's or G177 tires, that will get you a better cruising speed and keeping the stock rims which saves money unless you choose to go with bigger tires on MRAP rims.

Darylfraser

We did a 5 hour drive (2 1/2 in a car!) to Weare, NH in July. Due to a throttle linkage issue, I could only eke about 45mph on good, smooth roads (which there are not many of in the Northeast). With NDCCs, manual steering, traffic, turns, single circuit brakes, solid, axles with leaf springs, 45 was JUST fine!
As for operating temp, It never moved off of 180. The stock set up was built for extreme temps. I was fortunate to purchase mine with a new OEM radiator, water pump and IP already installed. Get all that gunk out, replace all the hoses, replace the thermostat (besides the gasket, there is a lip seal in the housing that can get overlooked, I believe Big Mike has them) and refill with heavy duty pre mix SLA coolant. The internal cavities on these old multi fuel engines have really crude castings with lots of potential for coolant cavitation.

getheated

We did a 5 hour drive (2 1/2 in a car!) to Weare, NH in July. Due to a throttle linkage issue, I could only eke about 45mph on good, smooth roads (which there are not many of in the Northeast). With NDCCs, manual steering, traffic, turns, single circuit brakes, solid, axles with leaf springs, 45 was JUST fine!
As for operating temp, It never moved off of 180. The stock set up was built for extreme temps. I was fortunate to purchase mine with a new OEM radiator, water pump and IP already installed. Get all that gunk out, replace all the hoses, replace the thermostat (besides the gasket, there is a lip seal in the housing that can get overlooked, I believe Big Mike has them) and refill with heavy duty pre mix SLA coolant. The internal cavities on these old multi fuel engines have really crude castings with lots of potential for coolant cavitation.
I haven’t opened the thermostat housing yet but I pulled the hose off while purging the cooling system and I’m pretty sure there is no thermostat in there.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose no thermo is better than a stuck one. They usually operate with an ether ampule or some eutetic metal spring.

I was taught if it stuck, pull it and block it to stay in the open position and put it back in.

It might run cold then, but a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator will allow it to stay in the normal range B4 a permanent repair.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the 5th gear overdrive , an LDS, power steering and 11.00R20 tires. The governor is set to 2450 rpm and that is 100 km/h (63mph) on the nose. I get her up to that speed once in a while, when everything is nicely warmed up.
No way would I "cruise" at that speed.
The truck could - but if I misjudge a pot hole or ridge on the road when going that quickly, the rear end will jump and a split second later the truck points to a random spot that may not be directly ahead and not in my lane. I may need both hands to bring her back under control. The steering geometry is not favourable at those speeds and the ride is not compliant enough to be safe.
There are a few roads around here where 40 is already breakneck speed, the surface is so bad.
Weight in the bed would be better for the ride, but it affects stopping distance.

Comfortable cruising is around 50-55 and she does that more relaxed than a stock Deuce, hardly turning over 2000 rpm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks