• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hot-locked motor

Manu7464

hello everyone, I have a Humvee from 1986, 6.2l engine, it drove very well but for some time it stalled on rough terrain
2 months ago, I almost ran out of fuel, I went to the bottom of the tank, arrived at the diesel pump, refueled and left impeccable!
I made some trips without problems (500 kms at least on the road), the rugged track (40 kms) without problem, with sometimes a small stall in my maneuvers to turn in too tight corners but he climbed hills without problem and theI made some trips without problems (500 kms at least on the road), the rugged track (40 kms) without problem, with sometimes a small stall in my maneuvers to turn in too tight corners but it climbed hills without problem and the engine sang!!!
2 weeks ago I did 15 kms on the road (the day before we had done a course on tracks a little sporty a little fast but nothing monstrous), and on the road when I returned I lost the box 2 times, it returned to neutral and the engine stalled! box to neutral and key stroke and restart and return without problem, next day tests on forest track and cold well but after 10 minutes it stalled as soon as I wanted to climb a hill!
I was waiting a few minutes and hop restart and a jump of 300m and engine stalled!
we checked the air line: everything is ok, no clogged pipe, everything is clean! niveua of box oil and color ok, engine oil level ok, coolant ok, it starts the first time, it turns correctly, we can send the horses to neutral, it holds cold, because after hot it stalls
today we checked the diesel filter, it was dirty, dirt in the bottom of the filter container, the prefilter clean, the filter was black with dirt, we cleaned everything and reassembled with the old filter (I'm waiting for the new one) and it still does the same thing

I will put the filter new as soon as I receive it but what does one have another idea? thank you for your help and time to read my novel:)

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At no time did you mention engine temperature and at no time did you mention using a laser thermometer to check the temperature of the block. Why are you assuming this has to do with heat lock?

What box are you referring to when you say “you lost the box”?

Are you using a language translation program?

Manu7464

hello , thanks for your answer,
you are right, i haven't the exactly temperature , i said " hot motor" because after 15 mn using ! it is so far at the good temperature using.

yes , i use google traductor for the long speach and sometimes not , like this one , so sorry for the faults :(

the seed box ? i was in D , and D is became N

thanks a lot for the time for read my post :)

At no time did you mention engine temperature and at no time did you mention using a laser thermometer to check the temperature of the block. Why are you assuming this has to do with heat lock?

What box are you referring to when you say “you lost the box”?

Are you using a language translation program?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the engine temp during these maneuvers is critical to help diagnose the problem. What rpm is your engine idling? Was the fan on when this would happen?

You said you reused an old fuel filter. Tell us a little more about that. There are so many knowledgeable experienced guys here to help but we need detailed information.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That "black dirt" could be bugs (microorganisms) in your fuel, buy a new filter and when you go in and see if the "black dirt" is back

Manu7464

Yes, the engine temp during these maneuvers is critical to help diagnose the problem. What rpm is your engine idling? Was the fan on when this would happen?

You said you reused an old fuel filter. Tell us a little more about that. There are so many knowledgeable experienced guys here to help but we need detailed information.

Mark
ok , i wait the new filter, i change it, i try for see it is normal or not, if after the new filter agian the problème , i look tp and rpm when the problem arrive, and i 'll say you all informations . one week , i think , thanks and good week :)

Sigi

Since your problems (stalling) happen when you are off road, I suspect that you have significant dirt in your tank. As you agitate the sediment in the tank going over rocks, it blocks the fuel pickup and the engine dies. Once stalled, the dirt falls away from pickup and you can start again.

I'd completely clean the tank, fuel lines and the filters. Get rid of the old fuel.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have a biological infestation in your fuel tank, caused by either yeast or bacteria.

It will keep on reproducing as long as you keep using that tank without decontamination.

That is where than black goo comes from. Get the tank cleaned out, then add some Biobar. Don't reuse any filters, either.

DG

Manu7464

Since your problems (stalling) happen when you are off road, I suspect that you have significant dirt in your tank. As you agitate the sediment in the tank going over rocks, it blocks the fuel pickup and the engine dies. Once stalled, the dirt falls away from pickup and you can start again.

be careful, once the problem appears, even if I am on the flat track or road, every 100m, the engine stalls, I wait a little, the engine starts with difficulty, I advance a little (100m or 30 seconds approximately) and it stalls again....

I'd completely clean the tank, fuel lines and the filters. Get rid of the old fuel.
yes you are right , it was my next idea after new filter so as not to get dirty the new filter...

Manu7464

Sounds like you have a biological infestation in your fuel tank, caused by either yeast or bacteria.

It will keep on reproducing as long as you keep using that tank without decontamination.

That is where than black goo comes from. Get the tank cleaned out, then add some Biobar. Don't reuse any filters, either.

DG
Is there a faucet to drain the tank? or do you have to disassemble everything, take it out and clean it disassembled? Is there a trick for disassembling the tank?

Manu7464

That "black dirt" could be bugs (microorganisms) in your fuel, buy a new filter and when you go in and see if the "black dirt" is back
Could this black dirt (or microorganism) develop only in the tank of the Humvee and not in the new ultra modern caterpillar mechanical excavator, the kubota agricultural tractors and micro tractor or mower?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a faucet to drain the tank? or do you have to disassemble everything, take it out and clean it disassembled? Is there a trick for disassembling the tank?
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank. It should be obvious once you look for it. Warning: drain plugs become brittle with age. You will almost certainly have to replace it.
Bulldogger

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Could this black dirt (or microorganism) develop only in the tank of the Humvee and not in the new ultra modern caterpillar mechanical excavator, the kubota agricultural tractors and micro tractor or mower?
Hi anu7464 ,

The black dirt can happen in just about any sort of diesel tank. It is a result of the "fixing of the fuel" to make it more "eco friendly".

It could be in your tank today and in an excavator (off-road is slightly different). Same black crud could be in the tank for an electrical generator. There are additives that will kill that stuff off and keep it from coming back.

Manu7464

Hi anu7464 ,

The black dirt can happen in just about any sort of diesel tank. It is a result of the "fixing of the fuel" to make it more "eco friendly".

It could be in your tank today and in an excavator (off-road is slightly different). Same black crud could be in the tank for an electrical generator. There are additives that will kill that stuff off and keep it from coming back.
so to avoid this fungus it is necessary at each full tank of fuel storage put the product in quantity necessary to avoid the proliferation of the fungus?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Life can take hold anywhere. Some in rocks at high pressure, some in volcanic superheated lakes, and some in things like Diesel fuel.

It is not a new phenomenon. Clean your system. Change all the filters. Then use chemicals to kill the micro-organism.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
so to avoid this fungus it is necessary at each full tank of fuel storage put the product in quantity necessary to avoid the proliferation of the fungus?
Yes. The more the vehicle sits not running, the more the fungus will grow.