• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hours on generator

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, looking for some advice on a generator I want to buy. its a MEP-004a, seller says it has 1200 hours, is that "alot" or low. normal or what? the unit looks good, the seller has a good rep, I want to buy it, what do you guys in the know think? price is under 3k. thanks in advance

Attachments

Isaac-1

As a rule of thumb well built 1800 rpm diesel generators are capable of up to 10,000 hours before needing a major engine rebuild, this is much like saying cars can last 200,000 miles or whatever, some make it that far, some don't, but regardless at 1,200 hours its not shockingly low, but not high either. The real question that is likely an unknown unless you have detailed maintenance histories, is does it really have 1,200 hours, or was that just when the hour meter was last changed, or when the unit was last refurbished, etc.

Ike

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Isaac, 1200 hours is pretty low for a diesel. I have one with over 3000 showing on the gauge, and it spins like a top.

I am by no means trying to discourage you from buying it, but I have a question for you now. You do know that this unit is a 3 phase generator only correct??? It will NOT support the 120/240 single phase needed for residential power consumption. Nor can it easily be made to do this. Even if you re-wire the output board, you still need to re-engineer the voltage regulation and metering needs so it operates properly. For the average homeowner, those generators aren't much good unless you need a diesel engine to retrofit into something else.

You might want to read this thread...rewiring MEP004 for single phase.

Last edited:

PeterD

I'll (politely) disagree with Speddmon, there is certainly no reason you can't use in 120/208 volt mode. You do get a bit less power (since you are only using two of the three phases), and some 240 appliances may not run properly but it is usable. IIRC, even the manual (TM) tells you this is an acceptable operating mode.

As to hours, I take the number of hours on the meter as being about the last thing I'd count on! The military has had a habit of swapping around parts with (for us) little documentation or records being kept. My MEP-004 shows about 2400 hours, I have the head off right now, and the engine, inside, is in excellent shape, no ridge or wear that I can see. Personally, I think the engine was replaced/rebuilt, but I can't 'prove' that actually happened. :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll (politely) disagree with Speddmon, there is certainly no reason you can't use in 120/208 volt mode. You do get a bit less power (since you are only using two of the three phases), and some 240 appliances may not run properly but it is usable. IIRC, even the manual (TM) tells you this is an acceptable operating mode.
I try to argue this point all the time with my Brother. I even built his phase converter for him out of a 10 HP 3Phase motor and he still thinks I don't know what I'm talking out.

Sigh....

sw

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PeterD,

You are correct you can use it in 120/208 3 phase mode to run your home. Using 2 legs of the 3 phase will supply you with 2, 120 volt to ground legs and a 208 volt phase to phase voltage.

However you will loose more than a "bit" or the available power of the set. Running it like that, you will loose probably close to 1/2 of the capacity of the set. Also, the unbalanced loading of the set and prolonged use like that could eventually damage the generator portion. As far as running your household appliances on 208, yes most are rated to run at either 208 or 240 volts. However, if your appliance has a control transformer in it, like your furnace or air conditioner, it will probably not work if you do not re-wire the control transformer for the new 208 voltage. You will not have enough voltage for the controls without re-wiring it. And if you do re-wire it and forget to put it back when utility power comes back you are asking for more troubles with over-voltage on the controls.

All of that being said, for the average homeowner, that is a bit much to SAFELY undertake. And with a price tag of just under $3000. I think I would not buy it and keep my eye out for a nice MEP-003a or MEP-002a. Unless like I said, he just want's if for the engine.

Just my 2cents

swbradley,

That is a good effective way to generate your own 3 phase...we always called it "pirating" 3 phase. You do get quite a lot of loss making a phase converter from a 3 phase motor. But is it cheap and effective; and you gotta love that especially if you can get a large 3 phase motor like that cheap, or better yet, free.

PeterD

Agreed, it is far from optimal! I wanted 3 phase capability (in case I get some 3 phase machine tools) and 8 to 10 KW will do my needs just fine. Worse case, I could split my house load into three phases if I needed, but I don't see that as a problem. So far the only thing that I have that I might want to run on the generator (that might not work) is my large air compressor (I've got to actually check the specifications plate on it). But I have a second 120 volt compressor that I can use in an emergency.

:mrgreen:

I've a great source for three phase motors too... But so far, I'm resisting. My biggest "I wish I'd gotten that" was a three phase 15 HP compressor with a 200 (or 300) gallon tank. Almost new, they wanted about $400 for it. I skipped it because at the time I had no where to put it, no power, and not enough need. Today I wish I'd bought it and just stored it!

coyotegray

Hello, looking for some advice on a generator I want to buy. its a MEP-004a, seller says it has 1200 hours, is that "alot" or low. normal or what? the unit looks good, the seller has a good rep, I want to buy it, what do you guys in the know think? price is under 3k. thanks in advance

On a surplus military generator, the only true indication an hour meter will give you is how many hours the meter has been running...

Andy..

rat4spd

In my opinion, that's just too much when you can get a very nice MEP-003 for half the price.

As far as hours, sometimes you can get lucky and the date will be stamped on the meter. Mine is dated within one month of the build date of my set, leading me to believe the 900 hours is a fair number.

Last edited:

lonegunman

I agree the only thing the hour meter tells you is hoe long the hour meter has been in the set. That being said we rarely changed them. Wetstacking can be a problem they can be load banked easily for a couple of hours and they are as good as new.

Figure 1 gallon for every 10KW of generation for fuel use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks