• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Houston....we have problems....the M135 came home.........

USMC 00-08

If you ever get out this way, I think I have some of what you need. Passenger seat (would have to make sure it isn't rusted out) and canvas top.

Can you post some pictures of what the engine looks like?

gentrysgarage

If you ever get out this way, I think I have some of what you need. Passenger seat (would have to make sure it isn't rusted out) and canvas top.

Can you post some pictures of what the engine looks like?

Thanks Alot! I don't know how/when I could get out there as me getting to take a road trip seems to be impossible!:sad:
I talked to Kevin this morning and he seemed to think he did not have the data plate, but he was going to look. He is going to write a short narrative of what he knows of the trucks history and dig up the title.
He also said he had a pallet of parts that came from his purchase of the lot of 4 he had, he will send me pictures when he can...I am hoping the parking brake assembly is there.

Here are your requested pictures
IMG_2849.jpgIMG_2850.jpgIMG_2851.jpgIMG_2852.jpgIMG_2853.jpg

gentrysgarage

It appears to be mostly complete! When will you try to start it?
That's hard to say, I have been cleaning, moving ol' 8 Ball every night after work and the boss has started complaining that her car won't be done...........But I told her to wait till the weekend before I start back on her car! Hoping to pressure wash all that preserving KS mud today/tomorrow morning, then we'll see if it turns free or start the Marvel Mystery oil treatment!
PS it seems the Oil Bath air cleaner rode the whole way from KS on the valve cover and covered the white Lexus that was behind it on the trailer with oil....

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PS it seems the Oil Bath air cleaner rode the whole way from KS on the valve cover and covered the white Lexus that was behind it on the trailer with oil....
That is funny, sort of...if you were the deuce.....or me. Transport companies should put that situational awareness cap on just like I do.... now, with Goose and our 302. These trucks are tricksters and it knew that Lexus was there.

It seems like some of our little 302's tend to spit carbon/gas/soot out of the exhaust when we start them. Once you're running you can park beside that white Lexus again and cover it in black carbon speckles. Of course I say that in jest, none of us would ever intentionally do that but we need to be aware that our trucks can be trouble makers. My first lesson was parked beside a WW11 jeep, perfectly restored and owned by one of the nicest, largest boys in the club. I had fired up and left and he spent quite a bit of time with windex....which is the MVPA soot cleaner of choice.....wiping my dirty deuce off his Jeep.

No one said anything until the next time ol' Goose rolled into a parking lot with a pile of shiny MV's just waiting. They had a spot all picked out for Goose.

It cleans up easily with windex as I found out after helping the neighbour clean the "mystery spots" off his white vinyl siding. Yes sir, Goose did a number on the neighbours white house so watch your G749's folks, the minute you turn your back........

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Data-Plate

I spoke before the grey matter kicked in and have the wrong dataplates, sorry. Unless you want to call it an XM211? It's hard to get a decent picture of shiny data-plates but here they are.

P7260772.jpgP7260791.jpg

1944mb

It seems like some of our little 302's tend to spit carbon/gas/soot out of the exhaust when we start them. Once you're running you can park beside that white Lexus again and cover it in black carbon speckles. Of course I say that in jest, none of us would ever intentionally do that but we need to be aware that our trucks can be trouble makers. My first lesson was parked beside a WW11 jeep, perfectly restored and owned by one of the nicest, largest boys in the club. I had fired up and left and he spent quite a bit of time with windex....which is the MVPA soot cleaner of choice.....wiping my dirty deuce off his jeep....
I'll bet you felt terrible, wink wink

gentrysgarage

Today's Update

Well the engine and air compressor is locked up.:(
Got the nephews 5 and 7 scrapping mud yesterday! They love the "dirt road" and want me to check it out every 7 minutes or so
Pressure washed the whole truck inside and out this morning..round 2 tomorrow morning. Then I will pull the plugs..the cavities were solid filled with mud dauber nests!
Those plates are beautiful, but I am going to have to stick with the XM135 data plate...you know the single rear axle special! LOL!! I think there is a picture in the TM of it...could you measure the plate for me so I can size the image correctly?
How would we go about figuring out the date of manufacture? Order number? It is either a very late '51 or very early '52.
It seems our trucks like to mark their territory like a big bad wolf! LOL!!

PS alot of the aqua blue that someone spray painted on the engine disappeared It does look better. Pictures tomorrow.....

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

Found a data plate!.....actually 2, one aluminum and one brass, M135 w/winch which this one had. Bought both! Is there anywhere that I can get the order number via the issued number? Lots of places for WW2 trucks how about ours?
Thanks!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a data plate!.....actually 2, one aluminum and one brass, M135 w/winch which this one had. Bought both! Is there anywhere that I can get the order number via the issued number? Lots of places for WW2 trucks how about ours?
Thanks!
USMC 00-08 kicked this thread off and we need to stick a paddle in to help row this canoe. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?134364-G749-VIN-amp-Military-Registration-Database

Maybe we can bump it and dig up some more truck data from more of those big hearted G749 owners. If I say I checked the entire web and nobody has put this information together,,,,,,will it show up?

I started digging into the Canadian Deuces but I don't think it helps. We're still thinking that the manufacturer stamped 11350000 in the first Canadian Deuce and it's in a museum. We have two, late November 56 M135's that must be close to the end of manufacturing. Slowly gathering dataplate info between 52' and 56' so we can guesstimate which month ran which range of serial numbers.

Hopefully something turns up or we've got a lot of work to do to catch up to the WW11 historians.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stuck 302 GMC blues,

Well the engine and air compressor is locked up.:(
Got the nephews 5 and 7 scrapping mud yesterday! They love the "dirt road" and want me to check it out every 7 minutes or so
Pressure washed the whole truck inside and out this morning..round 2 tomorrow morning. Then I will pull the plugs..the cavities were solid filled with mud dauber nests!
Those plates are beautiful, but I am going to have to stick with the XM135 data plate...you know the single rear axle special! LOL!! I think there is a picture in the TM of it...could you measure the plate for me so I can size the image correctly?
How would we go about figuring out the date of manufacture? Order number? It is either a very late '51 or very early '52.
It seems our trucks like to mark their territory like a big bad wolf! LOL!!

PS alot of the aqua blue that someone spray painted on the engine disappeared It does look better. Pictures tomorrow.....
What plate do you want measured?

Found 3 M211's recently with engines that were all locked. Really hope you'll show us how to get one rolling again.

Found some capacity, spec info all in one place in a 53 year old operators manual......a little more info in David Doyle's Standard Catalogue of U.S. Military Vehicles that the XM135 was a real truck...but no dataplates yet.

Your easy to find Capacities of all kinds

P7270796.jpgP7270792.jpgP7270794.jpg

gentrysgarage

What plate do you want measured?

Found 3 M211's recently with engines that were all locked. Really hope you'll show us how to get one rolling again.

Found some capacity, spec info all in one place in a 53 year old operators manual......a little more info in David Doyle's Standard Catalogue of U.S. Military Vehicles that the XM135 was a real truck...but no dataplates yet.

Your easy to find Capacities of all kinds

View attachment 692201View attachment 692202View attachment 692203
Thanks
I was wanting the vin data plate size, so I could make my own, but I found a blank M135 one and it is in the mail! I could use a clear scan of page 47 of one of the TM which has the same picture as your first picture of the dash. I have read a few places where you mention Leavy(sp) company...can we still get parts from them or is only available to Canadians.:-D

Got the fire extinguisher mount off the front, a few more of the FD mods...the kids removed one air tank for to get to the FD water pump brackets and the tank was filled with oil and water ....didn't smell like brake fluid so maybe why the compressor is locked up? The boss is complaining about her Torino so we will have to slow down some....BUT I will go into sneak mode, but those brackets come off today!
Thanks Guys!

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

Which Data plate do you have?

Which Data plate do you have?
FullSizeRender.jpg
Got a question for you USMC what are the production dates on these 2:
1952 M135 W/W #5314 - Reg. #4G3868
1952 M135 W/O #4984 - Reg. #41143???
Do you have the order number? And do you know why reg number on truck 5314 starts with 4G instead of 411 is it for the Marines or Navy? Reason I ask is if you have a ordinance contract number and it wasn't Army i am sure it would be different from what I need on my Army M135.
Thanks

USMC 00-08

My trucks have style B.

5314 was made February 1952 and 4984 was made January 1952. There are no order numbers on any of my trucks. Not sure On the 4G marking since there was also a 4A marking under that. I read somewhere that the 4A and 4G markings was a change the Army made in the 1960's.

1944mb has an M135 that I think is in the 6000 range and made in 1952. Maybe he will post it's number up. I think it was a W/Winch truck.

1944mb

My m135 is number 5584 manufactured feb of 52. Registration #41114085. Tough to read but looks like it bumper says it belongs to the 6 th army? Hope that helps

USMC 00-08

Here are a few data plates I have seen and thought to take pictures of. Maybe it will help narrow down a month for you. 19,090 by May 1952!

20170802_200904.jpg20170802_200926.jpg100_2146.jpg0314151618.jpg0314151615.jpg100_2748.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks