• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How About a Military Camper Build Forum in General

Third From Texas

With so many people fleeing the censorship of FB etc and given that this site has such strong roots, would it be possible to add a General Group for camper build ideas?

Just wondering as there are a lot of builders with no social media or forum platforms available (that do not wish to remain on over censored or extremely biased platforms).

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, but, there are quite a few in the "Hot Rodding" forums for both Deuce and 5T. Might be tough to sort through them and migrate to a separate forum.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This sounds like a great idea. I'm working on a few different forums right now and I'll add that to the list.

I do have a request though, anyone that has RV build threads that would like them moved, could they drop a link in this thread so we can move them over?

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
With so many people fleeing the censorship of FB etc and given that this site has such strong roots, would it be possible to add a General Group for camper build ideas?

Just wondering as there are a lot of builders with no social media or forum platforms available (that do not wish to remain on over censored or extremely biased platforms).
Great idea. The MV platforms have been used for RV’s since the CCKW, so it’s about time we give them a place to shine. Thanks!

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve been on here for a long time been busy building mine and haven’t taken the time to post my progress. I’ll try post progress photos on my soon. But here is a a quick look.
here is a short list of things I’ve done so far.
Everything was custom made by me.
2 fuel tanks totaling 225 gallons
110 gallon freshwater tank
3kw diesel generator
Air bag helper springs in the rear
Completely upgraded and insulated the cab interior
Roof rack
8 solar panels
Permanent rear porch with a permanent roof over it

Attachments

MTVR

I've got a 14-page thread on our MTVR camper build with pictures and stuff- about the first four pages starts off with us winning a GovPlanet auction, continuing through the delivery, and about the last 9 pages covers our build thus far...

...but in the middle, there is a few pages where the beginning of our build is tangled up with us dealing with a few post-delivery issues that don't really relate to the build, and there was even some back-and-forth discussion between other members that didn't even relate to our truck and build.

So I don't know if it would be best for the whole thread to be moved into the new "Military Camper" section, or whether there should be a quick and dirty thread split to move just the latter part of my thread into the new section, or whether Admin would be willing to work with me to untangle that middle part, post by post, to clean up the split.

I'm open to suggestions...

Third From Texas

I've got a 14-page thread on our MTVR camper build with pictures and stuff- about the first four pages starts off with us winning a GovPlanet auction, continuing through the delivery, and about the last 9 pages covers our build thus far...

...but in the middle, there is a few pages where the beginning of our build is tangled up with us dealing with a few post-delivery issues that don't really relate to the build, and there was even some back-and-forth discussion between other members that didn't even relate to our truck and build.

So I don't know if it would be best for the whole thread to be moved into the new "Military Camper" section, or whether there should be a quick and dirty thread split to move just the latter part of my thread into the new section, or whether Admin would be willing to work with me to untangle that middle part, post by post, to clean up the split.

I'm open to suggestions...
I don't recall if Dragonbyte of vBulletin will let an admin move a partial thread. I haven't kept up with the newer versions. That said, if you know the post number in your thread where the build starts, make a note of that. Perhaps the solution would be to replicate the thread instead of migrating, then you can mark the posts that you want deleted and an admin can follow up and prune them (I don't think that the standard admins have nuke privs in this setup, but the super admins appear to have it). But from a user perspective, maintaining threads in two areas can be a pita.

In any event, you might start by looking for the post numbers to get a ballpark idea of where the build portion resides. On the other hand, the entire process from bid-to-completion always makes an interesting read.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea as well. I've been posting in the FMTV subforum but will post to wherever the mods feel is the correct place if this is opened up. Thread link is in my signature below.

To me, this forum feels to be well suited to this endeavor. Lots of people who appreciate the vehicles we're using and the way in which we're using them. Feels like a very welcoming group- very technically astute and supportive.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My build thread is in the 5 ton modifications section, but feel free to move it to a camper specific area if you make one. Mine is set up more for short trips rather than as an expedition vehicle, but I still enjoy it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks