• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How are these glow plugs?

Braunchitis

I suspect my glow plugs are keeping my truck from starting when it's cold. I have puffs of white smoke from the exhaust, but it won't start without 5 minutes of cranking or starter fluid. And I don't like doing either of those. But, before I spend $90 for plugs, I want to be relatively sure that's what it is (because I'm broke). I've been told you can tell by looking at them if they're good or not. When I bought it in December, the guy said he had put some in recently. I'm not sure what's normal-looking though...so can someone tell me if these are OK or not? Thanks

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can not tell if they are good by looking at them(you can sometimes tell if they are bad by looking at them). You need to use an OHM meter to test them. If they are 070's I believe they are self limiting(should not burn out or swell), that still does not mean they wont go bad. Very good chance you have other problems with your GP system. A full GP system diagnosis is probably in order.

M1075

You might also consider a manual glow plug swtich if your controller is not functioning properly. See the sticky at the top of the CUCV forum.

EO2NMCB

Talking the mech's a couple of weeks ago at Ft Lwood mo they stated the glow plugs should ohm out between 1-3 ohm's any thing above or below that and the plugs are bad.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: How are these glow plugs?

mangus580 said:
If you have them out... its really easy to tell if they are good.... put 12v to them, they should get HOT
Danger! If they are not self regulating, you could be injured by putting power to them to test them.
You won't get burned testing them with a VOM.

mangus580

Re: RE: How are these glow plugs?

doghead said:
mangus580 said:
If you have them out... its really easy to tell if they are good.... put 12v to them, they should get HOT
Danger!
You wont get burned testing them with a VOM.
I didnt say hold them in your hand!!!

I have heard that sometimes you get a good reading with a meter, but they still dont work!

the only TRUE way to know if they are good, is to power them up...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: How are these glow plugs?

Don't believe everything you hear, Mike! :wink:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Also keep in mind, bad glow plugs are usually the result of another problem. I heard that somewhere! :lol:

Braunchitis

Well crap. I got them out and tested them with the ohm setting on my multimeter (one point on the threads, one on the tip where the wire attaches) and I got nothing.

Except for one...seems it swelled up and won't come out. Does anybody know any way to get it out?

Thanks

dam88

Loosen the glow plug, clear a clean path towards the neighbors roof and rotate engine.

WARNING:

This could be hazardous to you, your family, the dog, your truck and your good (if they are) relations with your neighbor as it should come out with (if you have good compression) some amount of force!
:D :D :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks