• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How are you Texas members getting licensed to drive 5 tons?

TexAndy

Just got a M923.

Headed over to the local DPS office to investigate getting a class A non-CDL (because I might want to use it to tow or haul another vehicle to shows) and was told "sorry, it doesn't meet any of the exemptions on this form. You can't have one."

So after explaining what I wanted to do with it, it became "Go to the tax office and get it registered as an FMV and then come back and we'll see what they say."

I am totally confused. And I think the office lady was, too. I don't understand why getting it registered as an FMV would make it any less of a CMV according to the statute definition. I already know what the tax office people are going to say. I am the one who educated THEM on what FMV registration is. No one had EVER come to their office to do it before I did. I had to argue with them at great length that first time just to get my deuces registered there that way. They're going to say "I don't know, we don't handle driver's licensing. Talk to DPS."

Am I being unreasonable here? I mean, it doesn't sound very reasonable to me that a man should be required to get a commercial driver's license when he isn't going to be engaged in any vehicular commerce...

Second, suppose the DPS office does break what appears to be the rule here like it sounds they might and issues me a class A non-CDL and I get pulled over in my truck on the way back from the Temple Airshow or something. Is the cop likely to give me a ticket for not having the proper license because I don't meet any of the exemptions on the form? IE, it's not an RV, over 150 miles from home, isn't transporting cotton, etc...

Ugh, what a circus.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When TX DPS told me the Class A and CDL tests were the same, I went with the CDL. Never hurts to have a back-up career.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When TX DPS told me the Class A and CDL tests were the same, I went with the CDL. Never hurts to have a back-up career.
I'm in the same boat as Andy as I'm looking at getting a 5 ton. My concern with the CDL would be how it affected rates from my insurance both for that vehicle and for my regular daily driver. Also do you have to have physicals for a CDL? Not sure with the MS that I could pass anything other than an eye exam and "are you awake" (not even real sure about that second one).

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My policy for my daily drivers did not increase with the CDL. If you are driving over something over 26,000 GVW and plainly non-commercial, all the regulations associated with CMVs do not apply. Hence, the physical, log books, and so forth are not needed. You do not have to present a medical card to take the driver's test. The big negative with the CDL is say goodby to defensive driving and deferred adjudication for ticket avoidance. Also a lower BAL, so better just have one beer. If you get pulled over and the trooper has the slightest idea you are hauling something for profit, then the party is over and he/she will empty a few ticket books on you. Austin will also tell you to put TXDMV numbers on your truck, commercial or not.

TexAndy

What do they define as commercial use? Does hauling your own property around count? Or do you have to be getting renumeration from someone else for it? I might at some point want to use my 5 ton to pick up another milsurp vehicle.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say if you are hauling something like grain or cattle, you better have a good story. I use my FMV to pick up surplus all the time, and have been pulled over by TXDPS doing so, and was told to be safe and have a nice day, after careful checks of all my paperwork.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hauling your own property does not count as commercial use but it would be wise to assume the officer will assume you are hauling for personal gain. It's your word vs his/her assumption so have any papers in order if you are doing a recovery. I was pulled over by a State Trooper when driving my M818 (coolness factor) when I picked up my M127A2c trailer. He told me specifically that since the property was mine I was permitted to move it (I have a CDL) but he did warn me that due to the tractor/truck being registered as a FMV I was not supposed to be on the road unless it was a parade, event of public interest, etc as stated on the books (lots of gray area there). I asked him how I should move my FMVs legally on the road way without paying for it to be hauled and he mentioned that FMVs are allowed to conduct one trip per year when it comes to transporting personal property. I've searched the books to find no limitations on this last bit, not to mention how do they keep track of it. My guess, spook tactic.

TexAndy

I've never heard of that one trip for personal property per year thing...

Sounds like he made it up to take it easy on you. I mean really, what it boils down to from the State's perspective on that question is

"You aren't. Or you can register that 818 as a normal, non-FMV truck and pay 300 to 400 dollars a year for registration, regardless of use."

It sounds like most DPS officers take it easy on the military vehicle hobbyists. But they could just as easily not. It's sad how expensive just in taxes this could get if the State decided it wanted to get serious.

Last edited:

ZZ4x4

Although I did not take my M923 to the DMV for a license, I did take my MK48 / 14 which is much larger and more confusing since it is both a tractor trailer and single vehicle ( pivoting hydraulic center) Basically I ended up with a Non CDL Class A license. I took the road test in the rig as well. It took. about 10 phone calls by the DPS people to their other offices and 3 inspections by various managers who had to come out and look over the truck. The poor road test guy was bouncing all over the place in the passenger seat! They made no reference to how it was registered ( Former MV etc). You just have to find an office that knows what to do....

battlebuggy

Any time you want to drive a Commercially operated Class A vehicle you simply have to get your Medical Cert and convert your Non-Commercial Class A to a CDL Class A. And adhere to FMCSA rules when operating COMMERCIAL. Also OUI BAC regs which are tougher only apply when you are driving commercially. When you are driving a passenger MV the BAC rules for you are the same as with a Class D lic. Insurance rates do not change re. drivers license, only the vehicle insured.

Although I did not take my M923 to the DMV for a license, I did take my MK48 / 14 which is much larger and more confusing since it is both a tractor trailer and single vehicle ( pivoting hydraulic center) Basically I ended up with a Non CDL Class A license. I took the road test in the rig as well. It took. about 10 phone calls by the DPS people to their other offices and 3 inspections by various managers who had to come out and look over the truck. The poor road test guy was bouncing all over the place in the passenger seat! They made no reference to how it was registered ( Former MV etc). You just have to find an office that knows what to do....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks