• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How best to flat tow the M1008?

ironmike927

What is the best way to flat tow the M1008, approximately 100 miles on good interstate highway. I've read trans in park, key on, transfer case in neutral, batteries disconnected (?). Is this correct? Any other tips? If I can I might be renting a tow bar from a local motor home dealer, plus I'll get a magnetic light kit from Tractor Supply. Otherwise it'll be rent a car hauler time.

O.D. Fever

Medium military tow bar and tow lights. I just did a 7 hour tow from southern In. to mid Michigan 4 days ago. I dropped the rear shaft also. It was a little far to go with it hooked. Just point the wheels strait, key unlocked, bungee cord the wheel to let it turn a little , hook up the lights and GO.

91W350

I pulled mine close to 900 miles last February when I picked up my deuce. I just ran lights, a tow bar, left the ignition unlocked, but not on, transmission in park and transfer case in neutral. I did not drop the shaft. We were only running 42 mph in zero temperatures though.

Attachments

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a good idea to drop the rear drive shaft. Also make sure the front hubs are unlocked.
Don't forget to use safety chains!

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you have very good tires on the towed vehicle, especially the front. Towing vehicle should be
as heavy or heavier.

Monkeyboyarmy

Keep in mind that when the transfer case is placed in neutral, it locks both front and rear driveshafts together. That is another good reason to drop the rear shaft.

ironmike927

OK so dropping the rear driveshaft is mandatory? Can I tow the '08 with the automatic transmission in neutral or will that screw something up?:???: Thank ya'll for all the input though, much appreciated.:-D

markg

ive flat towed lots of cucv's. i dont pull the drive shaft, i do tie or lock the steering wheel after your pointed straight. i do make sure the t-case is full of fluid. i do make sure the tires are aired up and the best one are on the front of the towed vehicle.
if you have a blow out on the front of the towed vehicle and the steering wheel is not locked you wreck, and you might take others with you. ive been there and done that!!
if you start towing and the t-case is low on fluid you will burn it up.
i made a plug that fits my trailer connector and plugs into the tail light harness on the towed vehicle located under the master cylinder . easy to hook up without running light cord to the rear of the truck. thanks. mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks