• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can I get this CUCV?

FLINT

Hey guys.

I'm close to being ready to sell my current truck - so am getting closer to being ready to buy a cucv.

I work in the biology dept. of a university and have noticed that the university police department has two cucvs - one is a 1009 and one is a 1008. I'm wondering if they got them from the ROTC/national guard program that is associated with the college. Anyways, I have never seen them being used at all.

Do you think there is a way I could approach the university police department and ask if they would consider getting rid of them. Because they are state owned, I know I can't just buy them, but maybe they could go up for public auction or something.

Maybe one of you guys know how this kind of thing works - and if its ever possible to acquire vehicles this way.

I really want to know any strategies to approach the police dept. about it - without looking like an idiot.

Thanks!

CycleJay

Hello Flint,

Just do it the old fashioned way, just walk into the campus police department office.
And simply ask them when/if they plan to get rid of them, because you are interested
in buying one.

There is no harm in asking, and you will not look like an idiot, unless you are dressed
like an idiot (like steve erkle...) or act like an idiot (like Jim Carrey...)

Good luck. Let us know how it goes, have a good day,

CJ

Many times they are aquired thru the Federal Surplus Property Program, and as stated above, they would need to go thru an auction, GSA or the like. Many of these programs offer them to other agencies prior to public auction.
But as stated above, asking can't hurt.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rules are the agency has to use the property for 18 months and then can do with it what they want. My CUCV came from a local PD, they sent it for local auction along with the worn out Crown Vics. The program where the vehicles have to be returned is Forestry. I would ask the Chief if the dept has plans to excess the trucks, so you do not miss out when they come up at the university surplus auction.

pwrwagonfire

Most likely have to be auctioned after they are return DRMO for disposal is what the correct proceedure is

This is the normal way, which is FEPP (federal excess property program) or others like it.

However there is also DOD (Department of Defense), which operates differently. The department holds onto and maintains the vehicle for 2 years, then the government surrenders the title to them and it is 100% theirs to do with as they please.
The police also used to have a program much like FEPP (which is for firefighting vehicles/equipment) called North Star. Due to many, many shady things going on and equipment being "missplaced" AKA recieved with no intention of use, and sold for $$$$ it was discontinued.

Many 1008 and 1009s as well as M35a3s have been coming through as DOD the last couple of years, so it deffinately wouldn't hurt to talk to them and see what they say.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In many of the cases, if they keep the stuff long enough (usually three years, from what I have been told), it becomes the property of the agency that acquired it. I once bought an M936A2 from a fire department and received the paperwork from the federal govt that indicated that they no longer had any claims on the vehicle and the agency was free and clear to dispose of the property as they saw fit.

pwrwagonfire

In many of the cases, if they keep the stuff long enough (usually three years, from what I have been told), it becomes the property of the agency that acquired it. I once bought an M936A2 from a fire department and received the paperwork from the federal govt that indicated that they no longer had any claims on the vehicle and the agency was free and clear to dispose of the property as they saw fit.
Yup! Thats most probably the DOD program

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sister program to FDs FEPP is LESO on the law enforcement side. They are very different. Are these vehicles still in service?

FLINT

The sister program to FDs FEPP is LESO on the law enforcement side. They are very different. Are these vehicles still in service?

Hey guys, thanks for the information. I may actually stop by there today and see if I can talk with the chief of police about them.

I'm assuming they work - but I will obviously ask about that as well. They are just parked next to each other - and i've never seen them being driven around at all. the blazer is white and the truck is blue with a white cab top - i don't know if they had them painted that way or what.

I'm really only interested in the pickup. I'll let you know what i find out.

FLINT

ok, so the computer guy for our department has a son, who is the computer guy for the campus police department and I just spoke with him in the parking lot.

He said that they got the truck for free from a military base in GA. He said the really only use it for picking up cones and then for picking up water coolers for graduation. He doesn't think they will get rid of it, but he is going to talk with the police chief about it.

I think this worked out well, because I got to talk with someone who I kind of have a connection to - and he can be the intermediary - so, I'm not just 'some guy' bothering them about a truck.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My FIRST M1009 was purchased from a private individual who got it from a sheriff's office. It was also painted white when he got it, but he repainted it to be three color camo.

Love my truck. Wish you well with your purchase. Can't go wrong. AND it should have a title without having to go the SF-97 route. Which is a good thing.