• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can I tell if it's a quality alternator?

dc9137

My "new" M1009 came with two alternators sitting in the back of the truck (not on the engine). One is older, and clearly has the Delco Remy Logo. The other appears much newer but doesn't have any markings. Besides looking newer and not having the logo, it looks just like the Delco on the outside. How can I tell if the newer alternator is the same quality? Is there something to look for?

Attachments

Skinny

If you are rebuilding it with say a kit from CUCV Electric, you will be replacing everything except the rotor and stator which are nothing more than big chunks of copper. As long as they ohm out correctly, you are golden. Any "cheap chinese" components will be replaced anyway. Good to have as a spare!

Skinny

Alternator rebuild is TM 9-2320-289-34 section 4-2

This is a very good step by step teardown, inspection, and rebuild. Plus CUCV Electric has good photos on his site. Be aware that the new rectifier is unthreaded so you will have to gently "force" the bolts in to create threads. Do not sweat, this is normal.

Other than that...easy peasy simple pimple