• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can I tell?

mynewtoy

I'm looking at a cube van from GL it's a 6.2 but I can't tell which trans it has I heard these vans had the 4l80e. Can I tell by the VIN.#? I'm looking at this van because I want to do a trans swap into my 1028A2.
Thanks in advance for any help!!

mynewtoy

This is the same post. I tried looking at the pics but it doesn't show the indicator there is a 97 on GL that shows the OD indicator but I don't know if the 97 has more electronics than the 91 I heard the early 90s trucks used a stand alone trans controller that's why I'm trying to stick with the 91 besides the 97 is a 6.5 don't know if there the same set up.

Pooch1128

Yes, under the forum tab, under general forums is one called "conversation" it seems that this would best fit that....

Also your best bet is too see if you can find someone to go to where the vehicle in question is located and get a first hand look at it...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Preveiw the truck, or ask for someone near it to go preveiw it for you.

Post a picture, maybe someone here has bought one like it and knows.

mynewtoy

Thanks guys, When I was buying my M1028A2 I called the dealer I deal with all the time and they told me Military VIN.S were different than regular VIN.S and they couldn't help me. I'm not sure maybe someone could tell me if this is a Military VIN. I just thought because it's being sold on GL it's automaticaly a Military VIN. Last thought does anyone know if the VIN. tells what trans is in this truck. Y2GBGG3155M4140416 How do I post pics.?
Thanks again

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think that a lot of folks are scratching their heads on this one.

Let me see if we can cut to the chase by asking these questions:

1. Do you have an M1028A2 that you currently own?
2. What type of transmission is in it right now, TH400?
3. Are you stating that you are looking at buying an active GL auction of a 1990 Chevy Step Van and use the transmission out of it as a direct replacement?
4. You are not looking at this as a upgrade but meerly a swapout?
5. Based on cost, is there a specific reason why you would be buying a step van vs going after a transmission rebuild or finding a transmission from another CUCV?

Just wondering cause I think some of us are confused.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing that might make this a deal stopper is, you'll need to reconfigure(totally disassemble and replace the output shaft) the transmission, for a 4x4 set up, to mate to your transfer case.

As I had said in the other thread, just google the vin, and you'll find the truck listed for auction.

The vin numbers are decipherable as a normal vin.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems for the cost of a 1000 mile each way, recovery you could buy the parts your looking for
at local salvage yards. Considering gas is near $4.00 a gallon . 2cents

Ataki

I believe those are all 4l80e, if so, I'd stay far away from it..Just pick you up a rebuilt TH400, They're quite a bit stronger.

mynewtoy

OK I'll try to clear this up. I have two M1028S One I bought from GL I drove down to Virgina to pick it up and was disappointed when I got there it's not a basket case but needs TLC The pics. were deceiving I wanted a really nice truck for my project so it's on my todo list then it will be for sale.My second I bought from a private owner who bought it from a Base in Maryland I went on vacation in NC. stopped on the way down paid for it had the title transferred and mailed to the old owner and then stopped on the way home and drove it back 4 HRS. at 59 MPH [I was afraid to go any faster as it sounded like the motor was going to come through the hood] it's my pride and joy. From what I've read this one is a 1986 M1028A3 I say this because it's a turbo 400 with a NP208 and a rear sway bar, it was a shelter carrier I know because it still has the bracket on the rear of the frame with the huge threaded nut [receiver] where the carrier was anchored. Am I correct? It now has a pick-up box on it ,that's how I bought it ,the seller thought it would sell quicker this way rather than a cab and chassis. It just turned 5350 miles it is in mint condition there is a place on the frame where the under coating peeled off and the black frame paint is like the day it rolled off the assembly line.So I guess you know why I want the 4L80E these trucks need a 4th gear at least I think so.Why a van? Cheaper than a 4x4 [way to hard to find a complete set up and to expensive to buy separately ]If it's a 6.2L with a 4L80E I'll get a lot of what I need - Trans,Trans control module,Wiring harness,IP with TPS sensor,VAC pump with ESS sensor,Dust cover & dipstick tube, all I'll have to worry about is the VSS sensor.I agree this one is far away that's why I asked the question about weather or not I can tell by the VIN. what trans. it has. I already have the NP205 transfer case I'll deal with the output shaft on the 2WD Trans. that's not a big deal. Oh yea my project is and I know I probably wont make a lot of friends with this is to turn this one into a 1 ton dump I have already built a 79 k30 4x4 350 stick dump so I'll be taking the dump assembly back off that truck and installing it on the A3.I don't understand the comment about the 4L80E it's and electronic version of the 400 just about bullet proof .OK I HOPE THAT HELPS Thanks again.