• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How close do you have to "balance" the load on MEP generators in 240v mode?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to add that we may not always be able to monitor every circuit in a panel to measure load. Even if we can't, meaningful info can be determined from a usage trend from the main lugs on a panel. I've included a screenshot of the output of the inverter here at home. My emergency loads panel is powered via a Schnider hybrid inverter. As long as I have enough sun to keep the batteries charged, the system does not draw any utility power.

In the trend below you can see that the computers powered by the system draw a relatively constant ~200w. The small square bump on the trend is a chest freezer. The larger square bump is the fridge. The largest square bump is the fridge doing a defrost cycle. After the defrost cycle you can see an extended compressor run cycle to recover from the defrost. Most devices draw a pretty constant current when on. This makes identifying which "bump" on the graph belongs to what device pretty simple.

The point is even if you aren't able to directly measure every branch circuit in a panel, you can still get good data and know what is running and when its running. All you need to do is put a power meter in the right place and capture the data at the right frequency. In the image below you can see that the capture point in the middle of the graph happened to pick up the startup spike of the fridge compressor while the others on the trend did not.

1645539086340.png

Last edited:

NATCAD

I was just about to ask if anyone knew of a load center monitor that didn't include helping to build skynet, thank you!

Also... really nice install on the meters. Can anyone comment on how those style will compare to a shunt style? There are cheap Chinese versions of each, but that doesn't mean they don't work.

Scoobyshep

A simple warning about mounting meters on a panel cover or deadfront. Panel covers are designed to withstand a set amount of blast force, (the pressure created in the worst case situation if the mains were to have an arcflash/arcblast incident) while the odds of it happening are very slim, those meters can become unguided missiles. Not to mention in most cases building inspectors will fail an installation (this comes into play with a permit or home sale)

Just something to be mindful of

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks