• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How come the engines are so dang loud?

91W350

well i found the torque of the multi... ld (non turbo) 300fp @1400rpm. ldt 305 fp@1500 rpm and the 5 ton lds 425 fp @ 2000 rpm
Sorry to jump off topic... If it builds peak torque at 1500 rpm, it sure seems like we are flogging them at 2400 to 2600. Sounds like that is way past maximum power range. In a recent thread several members talk about running right on the governor or close to it all the time. Seems like they are zooming right by the power band. Glen

Westech

CPL
I dont think that engine will ever move a deuce at any good speed at 1500 RPM.... even if the engine is making peak power at that RPM..... Its all in Gearing and RPM's. IF the engine makes 100 foot pounds at 1000 RPM and only 75 Foot pounds at 2000 RPM well the engine is spinning twice as fast..Its doing more work. Now there is a RPM where the out put of the engine will fall off... Let say at 5K RPM is is only making 10 Foot pounds....so the engine would produce more out put at 1000 RPM with 100 foot pounds then 5K RPM and 10 Foot pounds..... Its hard to explain with out a graph and some text book type of talkin. :beer:

SSG Rock

This all sounds like good to know stuff, we all need to learn more about these engines and sometimes be reminded over and over, thanks all

spicergear

You haven't heard loud in a deuce until you heard an 1160 CAT installed with the bright idea that the stock mutlifuel didn't have mufflers (forgetting a turbo is a muffling device) and put on dual stacks. Yeah, that's loud- trust me. Before I added over 4,000lbs of crane to it I could kick the rear out goofing around on the roadways at the farm by just punching the fuel. :mrgreen: