• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How common is it to have a super single come apart?

acme66

From reading through back posts it seems tire issues are common on these surplus trucks, I assume from sitting and sun. If I were to buy one should I also purchase a pallet of tires at the same time? I would hate to lose a steering axle tire on my long road trip home. Been there, done that and have the body damage to prove it.

Are the used pallets of tires younger that the ones you have typically seen on the trucks or is it just as much of a gamble? I'm about 3 months away from my first truck purchase and I am trying to get my ducks in a row.

Ken

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the tire has been sitting flat it is almost a certainty. The Goodyear 395s are the safest in my opinion.

KsM715

Yep, study the pictures of your potential purchase (if an auction) or if you can see the truck in person and see if it has flats. The tires themselves are ok to run if they are not left sitting with a flat. If it has a low tire or a flat on the front change that tire out to one of the rears just to get it home then look for a replacement.

Tires are relatively easy to find. There are several dealers and a few vendors on here that sell surplus tires.

zout

Look at the DOT code on the side of the tire - it will tell you when it was MFG'd. IF it had been run low on air pressure it is not a question if it will seperate
its a matter of when it will seperate - its due to destruction.

Its a little oval on the side of the tire - first two codes are Week of the year made - last two digits are year it was made.

example: 1309 - is it was made the 13th week of year 2009.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You wouldn't run 30+ year old tires on your car or pickup truck, would you? (and run them at their maximum speed rating)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks