• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How did you acquire YOUR M-10xx?

Howdy folks.

Among all the other things I find myself doing, building, selling or wanting to find, I am looking for M-1009's (though pickups / shelters would be groovy too).

Newbie here, but have owned dozens of various iron.
I recently picked up (almost by accident) a 6.2/auto 1/2T Suburban (civvy) at an auto auction. Turns out the stupid thing, despite being used up, worn out, and soundly thrashed inside and out, still runs pretty well, and !!!!! it had a Banks turbo kit on it...

The thing gets basically 19mpg from every tank, and the 'tactical' ability to run on many things besides what comes from a retailer is handy..

This has led me to want to add more 6.2 powered stuff to the fleet.
GL is kind of disappointing to look at, it seems that some ham-fisted mechanics and liability lawyers don't want you buying anything that Uncle Sam is done with.

5K to a rebuilder seems ridiculous...

And Units in private hands are not very common.

My question is this; How did YOU purchase your M-10xx truck?

I have noticed a few threads regarding waiting for End-Use paperwork, which suggests that these are purchased at DMRO auctions...

any info appreciated.

peace
Dave

Jetnoise400

Hi Dave,

First of all, welcome to SS. To answer your question, I found my M-1009 on Craigslist. Turns out the seller was also advertising it in MV magazine, but I didn't figure that out until after I went to look at the truck for the first time. And he had it listed cheaper in Craigslist, so I got a better deal on it.

But in my search for one, I looked at the dealers ads in MV magazine, watched SS as well as G-503 boards for trucks for sale, as well as kept an eye on my local MV club's classified ads.

GL (what DRMO sells through) was out of the question for me, as I wanted a title, and some reassurance that I was getting a truck in decent shape.

So for whatever its worth, that's how mine came to me. They're out there, just watch all the boards and magazines. And be patient. There's lots of CUCV trucks out there, so don't settle for buying a piece of junk just because it was easiest to do so.

Good luck with your search.

sheer luck...

Like it says,just happened to pick up a local truck trader magazine...a "liquidator" (i suppose thats something like GL) picked up a couple of m-1010's at an auction in BC and returned them to alberta.
Saw it in the mag and bought it the next day.title was easy...all i needed here was bill of sale and proof of insurance.i am the first registered owner outside the government.

gasser

RE: sheer luck...

Hey there Dave,

I got my m1009 from GL back in February, with a SF97 here in Georgia. I paid a fair price for it, and mechanically has been great. I have taken two long trips in it (1600 miles round trip to Aberdeen and a recent 900 mile trip to southern MS) with no issues. Only major thing I bought was new wheels/tires (32x10.5 SuperSwampers). Pretty solid and sound .... (knock on wood)
:wink:

Hope you find your gem - welcome!

-graham

mangus580

RE: sheer luck...

Mine came from an ebay ad, (and a 'dealer' member here actually). I flew out, handed him $ after checking it out, and drove 1200 miles home :) 99% of the stuff I have done to mine has been 'upgrades' not fixes. I feel I got a great deal on mine...

Keep your eyes open, they are there...

RE: m1009

Thanks for the info, Gentlemen.

I know of a collection of 3 -09's locally (within 100mi, anyway) which are in various states of 'together' and 'not-together'.
I suppose for my dough, the best thing will be to secure the 3 and make a good one and keep a few of the essentials on hand.

Ideally, space the 'glass top up 6 or 8 inches, 4 inward-facing jump-seats in back, and a rooftop Red-Dot AC unit over the front seats..

Thanks again.

peace
Dave

Capt.Marion

how are they for driving? I am becoming interested in an M1008 but I would like to drive it from my house in N GA up to family in the Hudson Valley in NY. I am wondering about gas mileage/ fuel economy more than anything.

CCATLETT1984

I get around 20mpg, but dont bother highway driving unless you change the gearing in the axles or the transmission, you could go the route I am and just get bigger tires. Otherwise your are limited to a screaming engine at 60mph in the M1008's the 09's will go faster as they have higher (numerically lower) gears in the axles. they m1008's have (4.56:1) and the m1009's have (3.08:1)

Michael

peyton said:
Not to hijack the thread (i think this fits ... in spirit anyway) but did anybody here acquire the $685 GL M1009 the other day?

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=924186

Price seemed right and pics looked good to my untrained eye but didnThat looks to be a bargan.

I have bought 3 M1010 and 4 M1009's from GL. I have one of each on the road. I hope to get one more of each on the road with minor parts and the rest is scrap. M1009 seats and tailgates are the hardest things to come up in my opinion.