• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How did you guys drive home? documentation?

spicergear

PA and OH you cant get a plate or temp transport paper without a title. So you can't legally drive it.

The next closest way (how I did it) was to get insurance on the truck and take your paperwork with you. Your probably not going to get pulled over, but your up the creek without a paddle if you get in an accident and hurt someone.

Sucks there is no legal way to do it.
I did it very similar to this. You roll the dice on no tags or registration, which I'll take that fine, BUT it is insured so the responsible thing that will get your balls sued off or truck on the hook is taken care of.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only really legal way in Ca is to tow it or trailer it until you get a tag.
Actually there is something called a one trip permit that you can buy from the DMV and allows you to drive the vehicle on the roads for one day/one trip. This combined with insurance will make you 100% legal for the ride home.

Clay James

No cop in California has yet to pull me over and I keep my tag in the glove box now. Good Luck. The only really legal way in Ca is to tow it or trailer it until you get a tag. But I've been driving mine daily for two years with my tag in the glove box and haven't gotten pulled over yet. Not to say it's not going to happen. But I've had cops follow me for miles and then wave as they pass me. It's big, screams military, and slow. Non of which is condusive to getting pulled over.
I got pulled over in my M109A3 because he didn't see a plate. He just looked at the temporary and sent me on my way. I just wear camo when I'm driving them now.

Seth_O

I bought mine in UT and drove it to CA, including onto a base to pickup an M105 trailer. After doing considerable research I found it was LEGAL to drive it in CA as long as I was 1) insured, and 2) it was within 30 days of the purchase.

I was pulled over by an LEO who was fairly adversarial (his leading question was "You're vehicle doesn't have plates on it, what makes you think you can drive it on the road in CA?") I explained I called the DMV and they told me I had 30 days to get it registered and I had insurance for it and I showed him all my paperwork. He sent me on my way. YMMV.

cjcottrill

PA and OH you cant get a plate or temp transport paper without a title. So you can't legally drive it.

The next closest way (how I did it) was to get insurance on the truck and take your paperwork with you. Your probably not going to get pulled over, but your up the creek without a paddle if you get in an accident and hurt someone.

Sucks there is no legal way to do it.
I live in Ohio, a bill of sale will get you a 30 day temp tag at the DMV. I have done that for trucks and trailers. Here, it is legal to transport a trailer to a weighing facility without plates to have the weight ticket punched. I always carry a glovebox full of blank weight tickets.

Last edited:

Oros35

I live in Ohio, a bill of sale will get you a 30 day temp tag at the DMV.
When I called they wouldn't do it without a title. Maybe because I was not an OH resident. Or maybe I just didn't find the right person to talk to. Or maybe they will for a trailer and not a truck. I didn't have any luck getting a temp plate, but at least I tried.

Troll1216

You need insurance, a one day operating permit from the DMV and the correct class drivers license.

Use the forum search, theirs lots of good info pertaining to this topic already on here.
Ditto.....

In Florida you can get up to a 30 day temp tag from the DMV. I got mine from a SS member and went directly to DMV with the bill of sale and signed title and did the transfer and got a tag before I drove home. I had insurance on it prior to the pick-up.

mikey

Okay thanks guys, next question...Is the serial number on the invoice? I assume I'll need that to get insurance taken care of? Or do I just use the 50XXXX number from the dash? I haven't seen the vehicle in person.
The serial# is on the invoice, but it is usually not correct. You want to get the VIN from the frame of the truck. GL gets it from the dash plate for the invoice and dash plates can be swapped from truck to truck. Additionally, GL has a habit of adding the model# of the truck with the serial# to get the VIN. That is wrong.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/65964-frame-vin-decode.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/62871-2011-vin-info-thread.html#post744883

bullfrog1234

Data plates are sometimes incomplete. If you go with the number on the plate and reg. it with those numbers - stamp those numbers on the frame somewhere just in case someone else decides to borrow your equipment with out your permission.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The serial number on the invoice is the 15 digit number? Does that sound right?
I won't be able to see the vehicle till I pick it up, got insurance on it using the 15 digit number so I'm ready to go. Will of course verify it and if not correct, call my insurance company before moving it.

Chief_919

The serial number on the invoice is the 15 digit number? Does that sound right?
I won't be able to see the vehicle till I pick it up, got insurance on it using the 15 digit number so I'm ready to go. Will of course verify it and if not correct, call my insurance company before moving it.
You need to do a lot more than just verify the VIN on a GL truck when you see it for the first time before it is safe to run on the highway.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to do a lot more than just verify the VIN on a GL truck when you see it for the first time before it is safe to run on the highway.
I've got a checklist of things I'll be taking... :) It's a pretty long list, but any pointers are welcome.....
1. Invoice 2. Pictures of the truck from GL site 3. Contact numbers for GL and the site. 4.tools 5. Generator 6. Compressor/airchuck 7. DOT5 8. Motor Oil 9. antifreeze
10.Insurance info 11. Razor knife 12. 10-12 gallons of Diesel fuel 13. Numbers for towing companies and/or my neighbor with lowboy. 14. camera 15. Fuel filters 16. batteries 17. chain 18. bolt cutters 19. operator manual 20. jumper cables 21 ear plugs

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a checklist of things I'll be taking... :) It's a pretty long list, but any pointers are welcome.....
1. Invoice 2. Pictures of the truck from GL site 3. Contact numbers for GL and the site. 4.tools 5. Generator 6. Compressor/airchuck 7. DOT5 8. Motor Oil 9. antifreeze
10.Insurance info 11. Razor knife 12. 10-12 gallons of Diesel fuel 13. Numbers for towing companies and/or my neighbor with lowboy. 14. camera 15. Fuel filters 16. batteries 17. chain 18. bolt cutters 19. operator manual 20. jumper cables 21 ear plugs
# 22 tow bar. If you don't have a truck to tow it , just pay a friend or another SS member to tow it. If you break down you will have to pay alot $$$ for some one you don't know to tow it. A 14,000 lb truck is not cheap to tow off the side of the road. If you end up blocking an intersection , the nice police officer will call his tow friends for you $$$$.

plym49

Advice my old man gave me many years ago (he was NYPD): Driving without registration is a misdemeanor, driving without insurance is a felony.

You can get insurance without a registration or title.

yarry23

@1 Patriot-of-Many:

I am using your list of 21 things (plus a tow bar, if I can find one in time) as the base template for my (potential) recovery. Thank you very much for the list, and having thought through several of the potential troubles.

I managed to think of a couple of them ahead of time, but you caught a ton I never would have thought about. Now I just got to see if I can round up a generator, an air compressor, etc... lol!

Anyways, thanks a ton! Much appreciated!

I picked mine up in FL and drove.it home to NC with nothing but insurance. Never got a second look from any LE. To this day, have never had the tag anywhere other than the glovebox. No such thing as temp permit without already having all the necessary docs to register in NC.

bigflew

I won a m35a3 last week in wisconson said it was driven onto lot. so I plan on driving it off way off 520 miles to michigan. that is unless i can find somone to tow it.
next question is there anyone in the sparta aera willing to store it in case it has a problem?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had insurance and paid in full invoice for both of my trucks and drove them home. Make sure you get an insurance binder with the vin of the truck on it. Usually you are covered under your current insurance when you buy a new car; but most of you car insurance companies won't cover a truck this size. CYA

jaymcb

@1 Patriot-of-Many:

I am using your list of 21 things (plus a tow bar, if I can find one in time) as the base template for my (potential) recovery. Thank you very much for the list, and having thought through several of the potential troubles.

I managed to think of a couple of them ahead of time, but you caught a ton I never would have thought about. Now I just got to see if I can round up a generator, an air compressor, etc... lol!

Anyways, thanks a ton! Much appreciated!
Make sure you have a gladhand so you can use the onboard air, as well as a big impact gun and 1 1/2 inch impact socket if you have to change a tire.

The biggest PITA I had to deal with when I got my truck off base was the incredibly crappy decal stuff which was stuck to the driver's side windshield, so you might want to consider some solvent, windex and paper towels.