• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I check my brake fluid??

greenjeepster

So how do you see it spray all over when the brake drum is on the truck? Both the wheel cylinders that i've seen leak have had fluid running down the inside of the tires and weren't spraying anywhere.:wink:
You would still feel it in the peddle, unless it was a very, very small leak in which case you would not see it leaking down the tire.

Is that the same as if your oil pressure gauge shows pressure then your oil level is ok? :roll:
Yup

dabtl

Thats all fine but it does not need to be a daily check. I usually check mine twice a year. In the spring when I am ready to drive it out and mid summer. At that same interval I also check the axle vents. This was brought up on another thread and is very important maint item.

No I am not perfect as I dont check my oil every time I take it out but I certinly pay attention to when my truck stops and whats underneath it if it starts leaking.
I used to maintain kind of that schedule myself. Then one day, unexpectedly, the peddle went to the floor while driving. I had a leaking wheel cylinder that used the last of the MC fluid on the drive. Now, unless there is a sudden and complete failure, I know there is brake fluid in the MC each time I drive. I just open the driver side hood side panel, look and feel comfortable about driving it.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I check my oil and coolent prior to starting and every 24hrs there after if I'm going to be driving it for a couple of days in a row. I only check the MC level before operating the first time. I have a force of habit to do this, as it is required to do a complete locomotive inspection every calender day it is to be used.

I had ment to install the remote reservoir when I first saw dabtl's thread on it, and never got around to it. I'm glad this has come up again, going to order the parts right now.

BugEyeBear

Since I own several old MVs, several old British Sports Cars (well known as being prone to leaking ALL fluids), and various other toys & pieces of mechanical equipment I have come to believe that you cannot check fluid levels too often.

This is especially true when you have a single circuit braking system on a vehicle as large as an M35!

I need to dig up and post a picture of my M35 parked nose-to-nose with one of my BugEye Sprites (for those unfamiliar, this is a very small sports car, similar to an MG Midget). One look at this picture and you quickly realize who would "win" if these two vehicles ever collided. There would be little left of the BugEye, the car's occupants would very likely be severely injured, and the Deuce would probably just need to have the Rockwell axles repainted!! :shock:

Given the fact that the stock Deuce Brake M/C is a PITA to check I think that installing a remote brake fluid reservoir is possibly one of the best safety improvements we can make to our trucks! [thumbzup]

Check your fluids! & check them OFTEN!
This will save you money, will prevent unexpected failures, and might save a life! :-D

vtdeucedriver

I was born and raised in Vermont:wink: It is called a dry sense of humor, I am kinda surprised you don't get it.
Nope, guess I did not see it. Sorry but I have seen a few comments on here and I hoped that they were not serious but turned out that they were. Glad yours is not one of them.[thumbzup]

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with how this thread has evolved is that "if" remarks were made "while kidding around" is that alot of the newer people would not realize it or realize that the info was even wrong. If you look at the thread topic, I believe that someone who doesn't know how to check the brake fluid level could easily believe that you're good to go as long as you have pedal after being told by another "knowledgeable person" online. Lastly, saying if a wheel cylinder is leaking you would be able to feel it at the pedal is not necessarily correct either. Many hydraulic components leak while static but stop when pressure is applied. In either case, the part needs to be fixed or replaced.:wink:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it'a good idea to check the fluid every time before you take you're buggie out . lets see if anyone disagrees with this?

:ditto:

I admit that I sometimes don't check it when I'm in a hurry but I do try and check it every time I drive my truck. I aways try and check my oil and brake fluid every time. Those are two items the deuce can't live without :wink:.

zout

Snarky and others have good points here:
Look up the PM service manual on the specific unit - go though a total pm service to learn your unit.
Grease points - lube points are specifically outlines in these manuals.
Fluid level charts and lube specifications are pinpointed in these.

I keep these on our specific units in a folder on the desktop and refer to them constantly. This includes the wiring schematics before we wire into anything.

In the resources above in the header are the links - Before I posted anything I downloaded (for our specific units) these for FREE - that alone is priceless.

The resources on this site from personal experience again is priceless - there were others here before us.

ivbeenrokd

I got around to figuring it out today and discovered it is a pain to check the brake fluid. I now intend to do a remote reservoir add on in the near future.

Good news: brake fluid level was full, engine oil level was full, and front axle level was 98% full despite the passenger side seal leak (that's the bad news).

I plan to tear down the front end in the coming months to replace the axle seals, rubber boots, and clean and check everything out. Any experienced opinions as to how long that might take per side?

Thanks,
John

rlwm211

Can't say as to the work you propose. I would ask about special tools as you need a special socket for the bearing nuts in the rear, and although I have not had the priveledge (YET) of tearing into the front end of my deuce, I expect that you will need at least one "Unique" tool, perhaps a couple of more.

As to the brake fluid:

I believe the TM recommends checking the brake fluid once a week in regular service. I would have to pull out my manual to see, or check the downloaded tm on my desktop computer. If I was using my truck daily, and checking underneath daily, I would expect that would be adequate.

I keep a 3/4" and a 3/8" wrench in the glove box so I can check it easily when I am planning to do more than move the truck around my yard.
This is typically during my "pre-flight" I do before I dare encounter the "Joe Citizen" drivers on the road.

I figure like most, if not everyone here says, better to be safe than sorry.

Just my two cents

RL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not knowing how your shop or shadetree is equipped, I'd say 2 to 3 hours per side. Inner axle shaft seals can be a pain and slow you down as can cleaning out bearings with a rag and brakkleen.