• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I disengage air brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryax85

Really? A simple question and people are so quick to throw a TM at a guy. You should be able to cage the brakes. You need cage bolts which should be readily available. A YouTube search "caging air brakes" will better show you how to do it.. Very easy

Good luck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really,? "Cage them"?

Try reading the TM, they do not need "caging".

ryax85

What's with this site and the TM infatuation? If everyone read the TMs/encyclopedias then there would be no need for forums, doctors, or mechanics . I came on here to share some knowledge with air systems with a guy that needs help, why don't you do the same for the future readers and tell us how to free up the brakes doghead...

steelandcanvas

Really? A simple question and people are so quick to throw a TM at a guy. You should be able to cage the brakes. You need cage bolts which should be readily available. A YouTube search "caging air brakes" will better show you how to do it.. Very easy

Good luck

I think Doghead is showing him how to find the information, no harm in that. People logon everyday wanting instant answers. Give them the answer and that's what they get, show them where to find the answer, and they will learn a lot more. Don't dog the "Big Dog".

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had an open mind, you would have read the TM(I linked), and you would have learned (as he needs to) that they do not have air brakes. You/he would also learn the maximum allowed tow speed, and how to safely operate the unit. All this is important information that he did not ask, but will appreciate having. The TM is something every owner should have, in his "toolbox".

Instead, you posted incorrect information. How does that help?

Yes, I could have just answered his basic question, but it is all well documented in the TM.

How do you or I know which brakes(service or parking) that he is talking about? Either way, it's in the TM. (did he even know it has 2 separate parking brakes, and service brakes?)

He did not mentions TMs, so how do you or I even know if he knew such information even exists.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've got to admit total fault with my 931. I've driven deuces and older 5 tons. I thought, ehh I can wing it. I learned a lot by mistake on pickup. I learned a lot reading back over the TM's again. Now, if I had been totally green to these trucks, I would NOT want someone who's never driven a truck like that to hop in and drive. (I've driven 5 tons and large trucks) A 22K lb truck with a driver that doesn't know all the ins and outs is a danger to everyone.

I'm not trying to preach, just sharing my own experience.

emr

Just like the search function, after reading the TM's or using the search, or at least trying, One will have an educated question if still needed, and a much better understanding of what they are asking, and just plain simply understand the answer more, and maybe use it all to find a better way on there own, it just makes sense, If someone wants to give there answer , thats great too, but to be honest, Most answers have a ton of "opinion" in them, And the TM's offer the facts, just the facts, and that is actually the best answer anyone can give. period. :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay now I'm confused. I don't even have one of these trailer so I read the manual and lo and behold it tells you about caging the brakes. Page 4-82 (or figure 4-82)

Parking brake (spring brake) not holding.
1. Spring brake power spring (1) broken or 1. Replace spring
partially caged, resulting in a partially brake chamber
applied spring braking force. (page 4-95).
2. Hold-off air not fully releasing because the air 2. Clean air lines and/
lines may be plugged or the relay valve may be or replace relay
malfunctioning. valve (page 4-126).
3. Caging bolt (2) damaged. (Caging bolt should 3. Replace spring
turn freely approximately 18 to 22 turns in brake unit (page
either direction.) 4-119).
4. Brakes not properly adjusted.

So which is it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a newer version that has straight air brakes.

The op did not specify which model he has. The newer version is not as common in the surplus sales.

If the OP would reply(instead of all the others), we would know what he has or needs.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why I asked, I used the manual link you posted and wanted to make sure. I thought they had air over hydraulic.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the OP would reply(instead of all the others), we would know what he has or needs.
The OP signed up on the site at 18:43 and posted his question at 19:15 on the 10th. He has not been back online since.

I guess he didn't need our help afterall.

Last edited:

ryax85

I understand the logic of ppl coming on here joining the day of and posting a question; like I have in a previous thread, and received no answers (go figure). Ive been observing on here for a while, and when a gem finally came to my attention I signed up and asked a simple question that went unanswered.

I'm no rookie, I've done my time and have driven the biggest that Uncle Sam owns, m1070s, Abrams, T55's etc. Like many of you prior service guys have. Yes I've forgotten a bit, but I retained the meat and potatoes. It's ppl like u guys scaring off the new breed, who are inquisitive.

After a week I've received no answers regarding a m116 trailer fitting in a 6'3"x12 ft utility trailer, I daggon drove 250 miles with my trailer with a 75% failure plan, "what if the m116 would not fit." Grew an ulcer on the way too. I arrived to the pickup site, loaded the trailer with ~3inches to spare. Yes I looked up the specs of the m116 trailer, but many were conflicting. Some of you probably own a m116 and rolled your eyes at my thread, without going the extra mile, like you've done with this thread. Which makes ppl like me say F%#K this site, especially after I suggested a way of moving an air brake equipped trailer and get bashed. (Nothing like killing the messenger/helper) Still haven't read a post other than mine regards to disengage air brakes, forgot the newer TM has a better way, which is?!?!

I thought about going back to my first ever thread on this forum and answering MY own question, but realized why should I? What's the reason? As we know all the mil specs are right on "right" and there is only "one" answer right?

By the way it's 21122012 and I'm still blogging while living on the grid!

If I've taken off the Stetson, you can too.

Stan Leschert

As for the spring parking brakes, you will find a odd looking bolt on the side of each brake pot. It goes in the hole in the back of each pot.

YOU WILL HAVE NO BRAKES ONCE THIS IS DONE... DANGER CLOSE!

Chock the wheels of the unit before attempting this.

Ensure that which ever tow vehicle has more than enough braking capacity for all situations. Especially worst case ....

Unless you can do this operation, under the watchful eye of your CSM and Commanding Officer, it just might not be advised.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RYAX85 don't give up! There are a lot of right answers, and some just mostly right. Not sure how your posted question went unanswered - usually there is plenty of answer to go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.