• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I fix m1009 fiberglass top?

Cletus09

The fiberglass top of my m1009 has gone bad in some spots. The paint has faded away and the white fibers are showing through and are rough. I could pick them off with my fingers... I would like to fix this and then repaint it. Do I use Bondo on this or is there something better?

vinny-socom1

depends on how bad it is, you can sand it down and apply a epoxy sealer/primer and then prep for refinish. If its in real bad shape your looking at fiberglass/resin repairs.

Vinny

I sanded and primed/sealed and shot it with Duraliner gold bedliner. its real tough now!!

Cletus ifIts not really bad we used a filler that had fiberglass in it i think u can buy it at most auto stores in the paint section i do no napa carries it it worked well on the hummer hoods im sure it would work nicely on the m1009 top :]

P.s Hi ya Lavarok how ya been sir :]

indy4x4fab

Banned
The fiberglass top of my m1009 has gone bad in some spots. The paint has faded away and the white fibers are showing through and are rough. I could pick them off with my fingers... I would like to fix this and then repaint it. Do I use Bondo on this or is there something better?
I have a spare k5 blazer top in great spare already flat black if your interested, as well as a m1009 top, too.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tops are dirt cheap and people are giving them away or scrapping them all the time. I'd just replace it.:beer:

Cletus09

Thanks ya'll for your advice. I think I'll do some shopping and see if I can find a local top cheap.

indy4x4fab- I'd love to give you my business, but I'm in no way prepared to drive out to Indiana, sorry... I don't even have a license yet... :)

kapnklug

I'd go to a boating store and get some West System marine epoxy and some lightweight filler. Pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, and it's made for fixing boat hulls. I always keep some around the shop, a million uses.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Thanks ya'll for your advice. I think I'll do some shopping and see if I can find a local top cheap.

indy4x4fab- I'd love to give you my business, but I'm in no way prepared to drive out to Indiana, sorry... I don't even have a license yet... :)
Shipping would be the easy part I could send it back with sparky, in his deuce at the end of this weekend, he lives in ohio and he should have enough room in his bed for it. He lives in Monroe, Ohio, that would put it 3 hours away from you instead of 5 hours.

DrJekl

I had four of them and could not give them away. Three went to the scrap yard in the back of trucks and one a local guy gave me $25 because he wanted the glass.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks