• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I get rid of canvas mildew smell?

deucer

I ended up buying a NOS canvas transmission shift boot. I cleaned what appeared to be a mildew off it but cannot get rid of the smell. Anyone run I to this and how did you get rid of the smell from the canvas....other than throwing it out? This sucker was hard to find and it is in perfect shape, just smells bad now. I am sure there will be a couple jokes but any help is appreciated. I thought about just throwing it in a washer but it has that metal trim ring around it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try a mildew remover. Mild bleach might get it. Sunlight.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The smell you are smelling is likely the preservative that they use to make them last and resist water. Even a brand new canvas tent has that wonderful fragrance. Some folks here would pay for that smell. I really miss my canvas GP Medium.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Removing would devalue it down to 1% of the actual value. Most people want the mildew smeller upper instead of the desmeller.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta love that military canvas scent. Funny how that smell triggers a lot of memories every time I climb into the cab of my deuce. Better than new car smell.

3dAngus

I would try a Commercial washer at the Laundry mat (if concerned about your personal washing machine) and a cup of white vinegar with Oxyclean for a detergent.
The ring won't get damaged if you're worried about that.
You don't need the preservative if it is indoor and sealed cab.
Vinegar also removes rust, as well as most odors, and many stains, like armpit yellowing stains on your tee shirts.
Believe it or not!

Another Ahab

Another two cents:

- bury it in baking soda for 24-hours.
- just one of the varied ways -all valid- already noted here of tackling the issue.

But I subscribe to the comments of 4x4, CARNAC, and sigo (post #'s 4, 5, and 6): THAT'S the smell of (good) old canvas. You expect it!

Last edited:

B3.3T

White vinegar and water mix works great and does not leave any odor behind. Have used it on WWII tents for years.

Ridgerunner

I installed a hard top and changed the canvas seats out in my Deuce. I so miss the smell whenever I climb in it now. That smell your experiencing is, true military truck..... enjoy it.

avpowerstn

Hello

I do realize this thread is old...but I think you will find this useful.
Its called an "Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 3500mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer "

I bought mine off Amazon for $100 they are about 25% cheaper as of today.
It adds an extra molecule to the "stink" odor, and makes it become heavy thus sinking to the floor, which can then be vacuumed up.
I did this with a pricey rug that I got cheap off Ebay. I steam cleaned it 5X to no avail. Then my friend who is a construction defects expert let me borrow his Ozone machine..STINK GONE !!!
It took about 2 days to remove the stench...but it has not returned.
WARNING !! WARNING !! WARNING !!
an Ozone machine will kill your pets (ie. cats, parrots, dogs, your house plants,) even you. Seal the unit off from anything living, then Ozone that baby.
I do my bathroom every month just for G.P. :)
Here are a few pictures...the cover up methods mentioned here maybe OK ..Ozone ROCKS !!M923 Ozone 010-small.jpgM923 Ozone 012-small.jpgOzone Machine Amazon.jpg

Oh Yeah if you are a Steel Soldiers member, and in Southern California, and have a little time to kill (currently doing mine, will post time required after mine is done) PM me I will Ozone your Military Vehicle for free (I charge for auto's and houses).
I am guessing that I can remove the smell in about 1 hour (the rug was a major stinker, that is why it took 2 days). again will post time factor when I have more data.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Hello

I do realize this thread is old...but I think you will find this useful.
Its called an "Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 3500mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer "

I bought mine off Amazon for $100 they are about 25% cheaper as of today.
It adds an extra molecule to the "stink" odor, and makes it become heavy thus sinking to the floor, which can then be vacuumed up.
I did this with a pricey rug that I got cheap off Ebay. I steam cleaned it 5X to no avail. Then my friend who is a construction defects expert let me borrow his Ozone machine..STINK GONE !!!
It took about 2 days to remove the stench...but it has not returned.
I never heard of these things, so it's an Ozone generator; is that it?

Can you rent these things from Rental stores?

Another Ahab

Yes ... Not sure if a rental yard would rent these..good idea. YES Ozone Generator you will be happy.
Well, yeah, because you only need them now and then, right?

I might call a couple of the local rental stores around here and check that out. It sounds like it does the trick; thanks for the idea!

avpowerstn

Well, yeah, because you only need them now and then, right?

I might call a couple of the local rental stores around here and check that out. It sounds like it does the trick; thanks for the idea!
Oh it does the trick...I have used it many times, like I said, I use it in my bathroom every couple of months, any room that seems stuffy or stale.
I do believe the "Rain Forest" cafe uses this item...it leaves a refreshing atmosphere...kinda like it just rained...nature's Ozone.
WARNING !! it is not toxic but Ozone has to be handled with "RESPECT"...NO kids, pets, or houseplants in the room(s) being treated (that may be why rental yards do not rent them),
that goes for wives also.. :)

If you are in Los Angeles county you can rent mine...lol

The plates last about 4000 hrs then you have to replace them...I have about 23 hrs on my unit..my bathroom refreshes in about 20 minutes, with the door closed.

Google it...and be amazed...:cool:

avpowerstn

OK smell was still present...set Ozone machine for 40 minutes..will post results (60 minutes total so far). Remember the rug took 2 days.
Work in progress.