• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I get the creme that used to be oil out of the engine?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M923a0 Unclear if I contaminated the oil during the oil cooler replacement or if I messed the replacement up somehow but it's creamy and the first few drops out the drain pan were water as in me flushing the cooling system with dawn and water. Question is how do I get the creamy stuff fully removed from the lubrication system? I drained everything, opened up the oil filler cap and can see the rocker arms are still coated with this creme. Hopefully I don't have to redo the oil cooler, but I'm thinking I'm going to be wasting 7 gallons of oil shortly.....

74M35A2

As others are saying, it is almost common in anything driven a short distance. Run it hard to get the engine and oil temps over 212F or as close as possible, and the water will boil off. Should be no damage as long as more is not contaminating. Careful, anti-freeze does eat the coatings off of bearings, and leaves them like sandpaper. As long as it is just water in oil, it will be ok.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The above is correct about the oil needing to be above the boiling point of water. Water will also ruin bearings, coolant or water will displace the oil film and cause rust on the journals of the crank, cam, rocker shafts, cam follower shafts, etc. Take the valve covers off and clean the goo off of them and wipe the rockers off, change the oil and filter, then go run it hard. Let it sit a few hours then change the oil and filter again. If any water comes out, you messed up on the o-ring installation on the o/c. Don't let it sit too long with water in it.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That works too, just don't load it too much, diesel doesn't lubricate things very well.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The above is correct about the oil needing to be above the boiling point of water. Water will also ruin bearings, coolant or water will displace the oil film and cause rust on the journals of the crank, cam, rocker shafts, cam follower shafts, etc. Take the valve covers off and clean the goo off of them and wipe the rockers off, change the oil and filter, then go run it hard. Let it sit a few hours then change the oil and filter again. If any water comes out, you messed up on the o-ring installation on the o/c. Don't let it sit too long with water in it.
Thanks, that's my biggest worry, i screwed up the OC installation somehow! I hate starting all over, but I tend to have to do things twice LOL

Ford Mechanic

How about transmission oil???? It has been common practice on gas engines, after head gasket replacement to fill the crankcase with trans oil as it absorbs water better than engine oil and run it for a couple miles then bring it back and change the oil while it's hot. One of those old tricks.

74M35A2

Just change the oil, mark the new level on the dipstick after the first start, take it for a long drive, check that the oil level is not raising, and you should be good to go.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to verify the o/c repair. Drain the oil, let it drip for a few hours, remove the drain pan and replace with some cardboard, leave the drain plug out. Put pressure on the cooling system and walk away, have a beer or your fav bev and come back in a hour. See if there is water on the cardboard and a loss in pressure on the tool. If no water, give it an oil and filter change and continue on.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay I just went ahead and filled it with 15w40, wife took it for a drive, Temp stayed right at 180-190, checked the oil when we got home, looks okay so far. I need to drain the water/dawn a time or two more out of the cooling system probably, I have no clue how long the Army was operating the vehicle with a bad oil cooler. I noticed when i picked it up the coolant was oily and whenever I ran it and it got hot the surge tank would overflow with oily coolant., I think the O/C installation is okay. Will take one more drive next weekend and make sure the oil level is staying where it should be and coolant isn't overflowing. Lot's of great suggestions from you all. I appreciate it immensely. Will update. I might also go ahead and change the oil again.

rivercreek

Patriot, what ended up being your result? Just to clarify, did you have coolant/water in your oil immediately after you replaced your oil cooler, or was there some delay? I've got a very similar problem (water/dawn soap in oil) but oil contamination didn't occur until app. 50-60 miles AFTER my oil cooler replacement. (First, oil in coolant. Replaced oil cooler. Drove 50 miles flushing coolant system, now water/dawn soap in oil). Trying to dial in possibilities while keeping my fingers crossed that it's not a liner... Also, how many oil changes did you end up doing to finally get completely rid of the chocolate milk?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patriot, what ended up being your result? Just to clarify, did you have coolant/water in your oil immediately after you replaced your oil cooler, or was there some delay? I've got a very similar problem (water/dawn soap in oil) but oil contamination didn't occur until app. 50-60 miles AFTER my oil cooler replacement. (First, oil in coolant. Replaced oil cooler. Drove 50 miles flushing coolant system, now water/dawn soap in oil). Trying to dial in possibilities while keeping my fingers crossed that it's not a liner... Also, how many oil changes did you end up doing to finally get completely rid of the chocolate milk?
I did two oil changes I believe. My oil was creamy immediately after replacing the oil cooler. Think I'm fine now. Same engine as yours 923A0. I'll run it again tomorrow when it's warmer, but I've driven it a few times since and the oil looks good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks