• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I hook up 12v stuff inside???

LeutDan

OK this probably is not very complicated and I am sure someone here has a quick and easy way for my idea to work. I want to use that battery terminal stuff behind the passenger seat to power some stuff. Air Compressor is mainly what I'm going after. My problem lies with it being a 24v power source according to my buddies meter. Is there a easy way to reduce that to 12v so that I can make use of it?

Thanks!

Stihl029

Well model tends to help out, I have a m1028 and do not have this hookup you are reffering to. what about swapping the motor on the compressor to 24V?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is talking about a M1009. You can move the positive lead from the 24v terminal block to postive terminal of the front battery.

dstang97

I think You should buy a cheap meter and prob around a little bit. You will find the 12v sources and figure out a lot of things about your cucv. Also use the search function. lots of good info out there.

mtjbrown

On a related note, my digital trailer brake controller that was just installed by someone who supposedly knew what they were doing, was being fed by the one fuse in the fuse block thats 24 volts!!!!:evil: Hopefully it will be ok, if not they will be buying me a new one..

LeutDan

Every day is a learning process with my m1009. I did a search and only found glow plug info and conversions. Sorry if this was a heavily covered question. My search was "24 v to 12v" but I was specifically looking for reductions at this particular power terminal.

Thanks again.

Stan Leschert

If you just run a tap off of one of the batteries, you run the risk of doing what we did, and overstressing a very old and tired charging system. This caused a Chernyobyl sized crater in the truck budget. 2 new batteries, rebuilt voltage reg, rebuilt generator....

The smart way is to get a cheap 24>12V invertor. A 30 Amp unit should be around $20.
If you can't find one locally, I think that ROBR had a post up about this item. He sent me one, and it works great.

If your budget is good, and you require a higher current, get a battery equalizer.

LeutDan

If you just run a tap off of one of the batteries, you run the risk of doing what we did, and overstressing a very old and tired charging system. This caused a Chernyobyl sized crater in the truck budget. 2 new batteries, rebuilt voltage reg, rebuilt generator....

The smart way is to get a cheap 24>12V invertor. A 30 Amp unit should be around $20.
If you can't find one locally, I think that ROBR had a post up about this item. He sent me one, and it works great.

If your budget is good, and you require a higher current, get a battery equalizer.
NOW we're talkin!

Crash_AF

Yes, a 24 to 12 inverter will work, but make sure that its capacity is capable of handling the amperage load of your equipment.

For the cost, I'd see if you could find a 24V air compressor. It will pull fewer amps and therefore put less stress on the electrical system.

Later,
Joe