• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do i make this crane work what pto?

cyamaha2007

Im not new to wrenching but new to ptos and stuff. I found a tico crane localy for sale. It comes with the hydraulic pump and pto for a 1991 5spd ford f 350. Here are my questions
1 will my that pto work in my deuce( i know it probably wont)
2 how does the pto attach to the pump( via a small drive shaft?)
3 what pto do i need
4 how much will the right pto cost me
5 how do you engage the pto?
Thank you so much
Chuck

scoutmanadam

all i can help you with is that the pto will attach to the pump via a shaft, and it will be engaged by mechanical means through a either a lever like on a deuce or a pull knob like on some dump trucks

lacoda56

The best place to get answers to all your questions is your local truck body and equipment dealer. They can tell what pto you need. Some pumps are direct mount (no driveshaft) and some aren't. Whatever you get for a pto and how much you want to spend will dictate how it's actuated. Some are manual with a cable or lever and some are air.

Tlauden

Just thinking out loud here so don't shoot me.....

Maybe replace the hydraulic PTO driven pump with a self contained unit (pump + motor)

Maybe try to find said unit with a 24 volt motor

That way when u need to run the crane u just flip a switch

Or

Salvage the winch PTO setup from somewhere, And do some mods to the ends of the shaft to get it to work on the hydraulic pump for the crane

If I were you thats the options I would start with and explore your options, pros, and cons with each setup

Hope this helped in some way shape or form....aua

cyamaha2007

does the winch pto have a pump mounted directly to it? This pump mounts to the pto via a bracket and is driven via a drive shaft. I jsut called him.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PTO you have more than likely won't work. The stock deuce PTO has a front output to drive the winch. They do have a rear output that can be added that will give you a rear output. I have used a stock PTO and munted the pump in front of the trans (beside the engine) so a rear output is not manditory but it sure makes mounting alot easier.

The last PTO I got was $300. A rear output will run another $300 or so.

You could also use a transfer case PTO. This is what I use to power my hyd dump. It bolts to the back of the transfer case and goes toward the back. They can run around $500 but can be had cheaper if you look around.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's two pump installs that I've done. The first pic the pump is driven off of the front output of the stock deuce PTO. The second and third pic the pump is driven off of a transfer case PTO.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, The trans PTO has a keyed shaft.
I've seen a flange (like mine), a yoke, and a sprocket on a t-case PTO.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find!
I'd go for a transfer PTO like you'll find described in the TMs for the M49 or M50 trucks. They will show the linkages and you will know what to look for.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find the pto parts hard to find you might try another solution. I had a secondary hydraulic system on a civilian dump truck to operate a road plow on the front and a aggregate maintainer on the rear. The truck pto system operated the telescopic dump hoist. The system was powered by an engine driven pump.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find the pto parts hard to find you might try another solution. I had a secondary hydraulic system on a civilian dump truck to operate a road plow on the front and a aggregate maintainer on the rear. The truck pto system operated the telescopic dump hoist. The system was powered by an engine driven pump.
Check on the requirements for the pump before you get too far, my crane needs about 15 plus Hp to operate, too much for a belt driven pump IMHO.
Also 10 GPH @3,000 psi continuous duty.
Call Clark Truck Parts ((304)-755-8811) in Poca, WV for parts, they probably have what you need.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about putting a plow on my deuce and making it full hydro. i could mount a pump above the alternator.... its just an idea and thats as far as i got. seem like an engine driven pump would work ok for a snow plow but a hydro dump might be a different story. Like cranetruck said, i am not sure of the HP required. engine pump would be nice because you could dump the box and drive forward without loss of hydraulics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks