• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I read a date code?

Brianmontesa

I bought some engines for the gov and I can't figure out how to read the codes. It's a 6.5L V8 diesel.
The flange says 05 01 M. Inside by the flywheel says 168, F15, 506. What does this stuff mean and where can I find out?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine block was made in May 2005 and is a Navistar block built by General Engine Products. ( AM General )

It is a good engine.

Brianmontesa

Thank you, that information is priceless! Where can I verify this information? I have to sell three and I want the buyers to be informed.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, that information is priceless! Where can I verify this information? I have to sell three and I want the buyers to be informed.
A good place to sell them is the steel soliders classifieds , you will need to upgrade your membership to a premium membership . This can be done by clicking on the resources button at the top of the page scroll down to "upgrade to premium membership" and click.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Brianmontesa

I called AMGN, they were kind of secretive about everything. They had me email the codes and said they would send the info. Cross my fingers.

As soon as I can get my premium membership to go through I will post them on the classifieds.

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least you tried.

Here is a good link. You will need to signup to see the post.

TheDieselPage.com Forums

post #14 and #30

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showpost.php?p=279640&postcount=30

Here is the jist.................

The date codes are a tad bit different 00 00 * letter code

The new codes start with H which is 2001 and the I is skipped due to its easy of confusion with the number 1

H=2001
J=2002
K=2003
L=2004 and on in the series

The first two digits are month
The second digits are the day
The last digit is the year

06 10 J would be June 10 2002

The late blocks also have the <> diamond in the valley towards the front

The casting numbers end with 506

Last edited:

Brianmontesa

American General actually emailed me back and gave me the same information. MM-DD letter year M=2005. So mine are may 1st 2005.

Thank you all for all the help. Can't wait to get one in my truck!!!