• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I remove a M109 Van Body?

GPappy

I am contemplating Bobbing my M109 and will need to get rid of the Van Body to do so. When I originally purchased the truck it was to make a camper for our off road weekends but life changed and won't be needing it for that any longer. I am thinking that a bobbed truck would be better all around for use on the farm.

Looked around here and it looks like the van weighs about 4000# and I can't imagine how I am going to get this thing off or what to do with it afterwards. A friend suggest it be set up on blocks and used for a tool shed but the immediate problem is how to get it off the back of the truck. I did see a thread about using a large crane truck to remove one but was looking for options. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a take on the last suggestion, completely unbolt it and make sure everything is disconnected and put a 2x12 reinforced ramp behind the truck and use a winch from another vehicle or a cum-along to slide it off. Minimal damage and you let slide into place.

Or hire wreck to stop by and pick it off the truck for you.

steve

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few pieces of pipe used as rollers(between the frame and box) will get it half way off, then Gravity can do the rest.

You could call in a local rollback and have them pull it off your frame and onto their truck. Then they could tilt it and lower it safely where ever you want it.

GPappy

A few pieces of pipe used as rollers(between the frame and box) will get it half way off, then Gravity can do the rest.

You could call in a local rollback and have them pull it off your frame and onto their truck. Then they could tilt it and lower it safely where ever you want it.
Great idea, thanks. Not wanting to drop a 4000 box from that height but the rollback should work! Of course I need to find a good place to keep it because I wouldn't want to move it a second time!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on where you are, I know there are at least a couple guys in MI with MV wreckers.

GPappy

Depending on where you are, I know there are at least a couple guys in MI with MV wreckers.
It has been a while since I was active in MVPA so I don't really know too many with trucks anymore. I am just west of Flint if you should know anyone in the area I could contact.

Could trade another member who might want the box as they are semi-rare compared to the standard beds.
I had thought about that but not sure which direction I will be going with the new bed and not sure how many around here would be interested anyway. It is kind of big to be shipping ;).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is how I used to load/unload the S280 shelter out of the back of my deuce.

My buddy had a roll back and only charged me 40 bucks each time.

Easy, and if the driver knows what he is doing he can set the box exactly where you want it.

wikallen

Live on a farm? Do you have a tractor with a front bucket? slide it back, and let the back end down easy. Then pick the front up, drive the truck out, then set the front down easy.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use search:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/34668-m109-box-removal-4.html

Tie it off and drive away. I had a VERY tight spot to drop mine off in and the only spot to tie off to was the hitch my brand new pick up just a few feet away. Went nearly flawless. The only problem was the oak strips slide back and broke off a tail light.

This is dropping it on dirt, on a harder surface you might want to pad it.

Again, I just tied off to the hitch of my pick up and drove away. After fixing the tail light I drove to 100dollarman's for the new bed. Changing oil is harder.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you could dig a hole similar to a loading dock back truck in slide off at ground level fill hole back in when done

GPappy

Use search:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/34668-m109-box-removal-4.html

Tie it off and drive away. I had a VERY tight spot to drop mine off in and the only spot to tie off to was the hitch my brand new pick up just a few feet away. Went nearly flawless. The only problem was the oak strips slide back and broke off a tail light.

This is dropping it on dirt, on a harder surface you might want to pad it.

Again, I just tied off to the hitch of my pick up and drove away. After fixing the tail light I drove to 100dollarman's for the new bed. Changing oil is harder.
Thanks for the link. I did a search missed that one somehow. I can't imagine just dropping 4000# box from that height without damaging it but I guess it works.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the link. I did a search missed that one somehow. I can't imagine just dropping 4000# box from that height without damaging it but I guess it works.
You're not "dropping" 4000 pounds. It slides back, tips so the rear it on the ground holding some weight and then when it runs out of frame rail, the last section falls to earth.

Remove the tail lights like TMAmerica suggested - the oak will probably catch one. The bumperettes can stay in place.

The only problems we had was a couple of bolts that needed to be cut off and a couple places where we couldn't fit an air gun so we had to do it by hand.

Like I said - I put it in a very tight spot. Next to my garage without ripping off an eve and used my brand new pick up as a tie off point. If you have an open spot where you can lash off to a tree, all the easier.

Since we are using mine as storage we took a high lift jack and put it up on two railroad ties and some shims to allow rainwater to pass under.

Just hook up and drive away.

Last edited:

GPappy

Welcome Gpappy. How west of Flint? Swartz Creek, Corunna, Owosso, St. Johns?
Thank you.

Shiawasee County about 5 miles NE of Corunna. Started with a M38, got a M37 and a couple of residue parts trucks, and then picked up the M109 for a camper/tow rig. Still want to tow with it but I really think it would get more use if I made it into a bobbed cargo truck. I even have an old dump truck out behind the barn that I might get to donate the parts to make it a dump bed.

brianrbull

Hello Gpappy, Welcome to the site.... I am in the market for a 109 body..... I also have the means to remove it The Harvester of Sorrow (M816) can snatch it right off no problem. I am currently in The Sand Box. But I will be home in a couple weeks. is this something you want off ASAP or can it wait for a bit? also what condition is the box in....

Brian

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks