• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do military auctions work?

JJpup

Here's the deal. I'm looking for a new daily driver/'wheeler vehicle to replace my 97 tj. (My new twins just don't fit) I've seen govliquidation.com and have a question. How often do auctions come up? I live by a few bases here in Tx but theres no M1009s. I don't mind driving to pickup or working to restore, but I want to check out vehicle before buying. How did ya'll do it?
jjpup

smalltruckbigcid

Since most of the sites are unmanned you need to get ahold of the local guy for govliquidation and arrange to do an inspection. I've met a couple of them and they are nice people but really busy. If you are looking for a great condition vehicle then buy through a dealer because you should have less headaches. Good luck.
George

dmonkz71

I bought my 86 M1009 through the same auction by sight only on the web site. I don`t know how many times I looked at the pictures. I live in Michigan and drove to Ft. Hood Tx. to get it. My winning bid was $2575.00 plus a 10% fee through the auction house. From the pictures the truck looked pretty good. One thing that caught my attention was the bumper markings which indicated the it was a former HQ, vehicle. If you find one of those they usually have low miles and are not all beat up. Mine had 39,000 showing on the odometer. I towed the truck home, put batteries in it and it fired right up. That was a year ago and it drive it daily. Good luck with your search. :yeah:

codedsolutions

I would highly recommend inspecting the vehicle or have a 3rd party inspect it if you live far from the GL site. The pictures they post are limited and only show the good parts of the vehicle. You would be surprised how trashed a vehicle can be even though it looks okay in the pictures.

Also look into gsaauctions.gov for m1008/m1009's.

Colomil

calhan, CO

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer your original question in a few words or less, here my opinion.
"How do military auctions work?"
Poorly!

Desert Rat

JJ,
Unless you know what you are looking for and have experience with the equipment you are better off to go to a reputable surplus dealer that haas the experience, spare parts, service and advice you need to make a good selection. You could buy a wholesale truck in need of repairs and wind-up paying retail prices for it. Some of us here on the site are retailers and some are hobbyists with vast experience. My advice is to be a sponge and get as much free insight as possible and ask as many questions as you can before going out and trying your luck at getting a truck by either buying from a retailer or auction. I hope this helps. By the way, I'm a part-time retailer with quite a bit of experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks