• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do perfect circle rings compair to sealed power for a rering?

m1garand_man

I am planning on reringing my 6.2 pistons while I have the heads off. This is because of three reasons. 1 I am trying to eliminate a smoke on start up issue out of the left bank and two no shop in town will touch my block because they are afraid of cracking it and three because I don't have the $5k I am being quoted to rebuild the lower end if they would touch it.

My bores are all 3.974-3.976 so I should be able to use standard sized rings. The engine was a boyce pull out with 18k on it that was put in 20k ago but has fine pitting in the #2 cylinder which I believe has worn the rings on that piston causing my smoking on start up.

So my question is how do perfect circle brand rings compare to sealed power? I am asking because they are about a quarter of the cost.

Additionally how critical is it that I replace the rod bearings? I don't want to deal with fitment issues since I don't plan on having the crank out of the truck to have it polished.

The concerning thing with the sealed power rings is that it looks like there are only three rings per piston not four.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...91_-1&keyword=piston+rings&pt=03383&ppt=C0365

Last edited by a moderator:

rustystud

They both are 3 rings not 4. The Perfect Circle are just a different design oil ring made up of 3 parts. Sealed Power and Perfect Circle both make quality parts. As far as the rod bearings go, if they check out (plastigage) then they will be OK to use. I would also plastigage the crank since you will be in there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per the forum rules eBay links are not allowed. Sorry

how about a set of factory rings? I will have to look but I should still have a couple of dozen sets (8 cyl) from a GL buy a few years ago.

bigbird1

yes, As said, both rings are good, factory rings from warthog are most likely made by one of the two companies.

Check the rod bearings on the top side, if you see anything but gray change them, No copper or scratches.

Be sure to check valve seals they break down over time and let oil leak down the guides and cause the most smoke on start.

Last edited:

m1garand_man

They both are 3 rings not 4. The Perfect Circle are just a different design oil ring made up of 3 parts. Sealed Power and Perfect Circle both make quality parts. As far as the rod bearings go, if they check out (plastigage) then they will be OK to use. I would also plastigage the crank since you will be in there.
so what's the likelihood of cracking the main bearing web when removing the bearing caps? A few machine shops I have spoken too locally say its high which is why they wont touch them.