• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how do u start your m1008

ralbelt

Well, I just put in new glowplugs, AC60G's, and changed the supply at the GP solenoid to 12 volts. The wait time seems a little longer than before the change. Step one turn ignition key on
Step two wait for wait light to go off.
Step three turn key to start while tickeling the go pedal.
If engine starts wait for hi idle to kick down before driving , if not running repeat steps 1,2,3.

Matt65

Regardless of temperature I:
1 Jump in and immediately turn the starter over for 1-1.5 seconds fully priming the fuel system to the cylinders. It will not start if cold.
2 Turn ignition key off for 3 seconds.
3 Turn ignition key on, and to start when the wait light goes off while holding accel pedal at half. Quickly release pedal as the engine starts to prevent reving.
4 Monitor glow plugs via volt meter, ensuring they cycle off.

If no start at step 3, repeat that step. Very rarely needed. I never run the starter for more than 3 seconds. This sequence is what works best for this truck. They all have personality, and sometimes attitude when starting cold.

Last edited:

Brad M

1. Unplug Block Heater if needed if not skip to next step.
2. Turn key to on position.
3. Wait for "Wait" lamp to go out.
4. Continue to wait until glow plugs cycle off ( Hear relay & or see volt meter jump up)
5. Turn key to Start and hold for a few seconds. If starts then wait for high idle to kick off. If not go back to step #2 and after Step, #4 add 4 to six seconds of manual GP activation.

At least that is what works for me. Starts on the first time most of the time. Your vehicle may not have a block heater or a manual GP switch so alter order to suit your vehicle. Some recommend using the throttle but I never touch it and do not ever have to try too many times to get it to start.

Buzzer? Only heard it once and thought something was wrong... Now I have something else to fix aua

rnd-motorsports

Sound about like I do turn key on wait for start ligth to go off crank and let warm a bit. I put temp and oil presure gauge in mine dont like the ligths fast idle drops off at 110 deg. like clockwork!

Armada

Regardless of temperature I:
1 Jump in and immediately turn the starter over for 1-1.5 seconds fully priming the fuel system to the cylinders. It will not start if cold.
2 Turn ignition key off for 3 seconds.
3 Turn ignition key on, and to start when the wait light goes off while holding accel pedal at half. Quickly release pedal as the engine starts to prevent reving.
4 Monitor glow plugs via volt meter, ensuring they cycle off.
Normally, you do not need to do item 1. If you are loosing fuel in the lines everytime the truck is parked, then you need to look for the problem. Air leak? Fuel pump not checking fuel and allowing drainback? Find/fix the problem and save the wear and tear on the starter. Good luck.

xenocath

searching.............
flip down drivers visor follow instructions on the back. if truck starts yer golden if not you have to figure out how your truck likes it. i turn key on and push glowplug button till seat belt buzzer stops then i throttle about halfway and engage starter if no start i hit the plugs for another few seconds and try again. if its cold i usually crank it a few revs to get oil up top of motor, before starting it.

12vctd

All of this cranking for oil and fuel puzzles me, diesel fuel should never leak down if it does theres a air leak in the system and you have a problem. Cranking a vehicle to prelube is still turning the motor over and causing wear, if you want to prelube your motor before starting why not put a preluber on the truck. I guess some will say when cold the motor turning over slow is not as bad as a started motor running but your oil pump should be pumping straight off

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Unplug Block Heater if needed if not skip to next step.
2. Turn key to on position.
3. Wait for "Wait" lamp to go out.
4. Continue to wait until glow plugs cycle off ( Hear relay & or see volt meter jump up)
5. Turn key to Start and hold for a few seconds. If starts then wait for high idle to kick off. If not go back to step #2 and after Step, #4 add 4 to six seconds of manual GP activation.

At least that is what works for me. Starts on the first time most of the time. Your vehicle may not have a block heater or a manual GP switch so alter order to suit your vehicle. Some recommend using the throttle but I never touch it and do not ever have to try too many times to get it to start.

Buzzer? Only heard it once and thought something was wrong... Now I have something else to fix aua

cnances are if your buzzer does't work the military probley disconnected the back grounding wire to it

BIG_RED

1. Unplug block heater
2. Put key in, turn till glowplugs turn on
3. Wait till wait light shuts off
4. fuel pedal half way down, all the way if it's really cold, turn key to crank for a few seconds
5. release pedal as engine starts to prevent revving
6. oil light goes out after 2 seconds. If longer - consider replacing oil pump/pickup. (I run Lucas Oil, I think it helps withdry starts. I use the OIL, NOT their ADDITIVES)
7. wait for valvetrain to quiet down and for oil to get to everything (20ish seconds, just to be safe)
8. If alt lights are on, Rev engine just slightly to get ALT1 and ALT2 lights to turn off. (I guess it Idles too low for alts to excite or my alts are a little worn out, Doesn't worry me at all, half the time they excite on their own.)

If it has been run in the last 3 hours and the heat blows hot instantly, I put it in gear and go. If it sat for a long time, read on:

9. wait for engine to idle down to low idle.
10. Put it in drive, if it doesn't start moving, release E-brake (my E-brake light doesn't work).
11. If step 10 caused the hood to pop up, call self a dumba$$, put it in park, go put hood down, PULL THE OTHER HANDLE and go

(yes, I open the hood by accident every so often. My father's vehicle's are imported jobs and everything is backwards. If I drive anything of his, I pop his hood trying to take the brake off, then when I get in my vehicle I end up doing the same :p He laughs and laughs when I turn on the windshield wipers while trying to put it in gear, and how I screw up the power mirrors trying to turn on the headlights. Silly old man and his backwards junk..)

OL AG '89

1.) Jump in, climb back out
2.) Unlock security system
3.) Jump back in
4.) Turn key on, hope the Wait light comes on, if not reach under dash and "giggle" wires near the GP conttroller card
5.) Wait light on, waiting, waiting, Wait light off
6.) Crank a couple seconds, tap throttle to get the high idle up and going
7.) Crank down drivers window
8.) Jump back out, Crank down passenger window
9.) Go to backdoor of house and call dog, move out of doorway....
10.) get dog loaded up
11.) Climb back in
12.) Drive it like I stole IT!!!!

oops.....

13.) Turn on service drive switch so the brake lights work.......

lindyp38

i tried the suggestions.......im sure its me doing something wrong.....

ill have someone thats knows how...to.....to stop by and check things out......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks