• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you get 14.00 R20 M939/M944A1 tires off the rim?

Mark3395

I replaced he 5 flat tires of my M944 during recovery with 5 HEMMTT wheels and excellent used tires. It drove fine on them.

My problem now is that I have 5 bad tires to remove from the original wheels. I'd like to get another and mount singles on my wrecker.

Breaking the nuts loose required a torque multiplier but that's now done. Problem now is I can't get the tires off. I drove a deuce up on the deflated tirea and it stayed in place.

Is there a simple technique that'll work?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

eldgenb

if they are 2 piece rims you might have bead locks inside it which case you would need to take the center bolts all the way off to the the wheel to separate from the tire.

jimmcld

I managed to get one off with a "pinch bar". That's probably not the proper name but it's the nail pulling bar with a 180 degree curve on one end and about three feet long. Drive the curved end between the bead and rim and then use a BFH to beat on the top of the bar. You have to go all the way around the rim and move the bead about an inch at a time. I assume you have already lubricated the bead!

rorybellows

we used blocks of wood that were smaller than the rim, put the rim/tire combo on it and used a sledge hammer and hit the tire until it basicly just fell off the rim

spitfire_pilot

Stand on the wheel and swing a tire maul (duck bill hoe) so it hits between the the tire and the rim. Keep moving around the tire and they break right off. Just don't miss on the swing... your shins are part of the learning curve.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
with the bead locks you must remove the bolts completely and then support the rim so the tire and beadlock will slide down off the rim. they suck to get off the first time when you put them back on use tire soap to lube the rim before you slide the beadlock
back on. also make sure valve stem is in line with the slot in the beadlock so air can flow freely.

NMC_EXP

Stand on the wheel and swing a tire maul (duck bill hoe) so it hits between the the tire and the rim. Keep moving around the tire and they break right off. Just don't miss on the swing... your shins are part of the learning curve.
In my previous life as a truck stop tire monkey we used a short handled 10 lb sledge along with the tire maul aka "wedge hammer" to "break beads". Position the wedge hammer between the tire and rim then whack the flat end of the wedge hammer with the sledge. Repeat as required.

Saves a lot of wear and tear on the rim/lock ring and your shins.

Shins will heal, but buggered up lock rings can result in something that won't.

Regards

Jim

Alredneck

Banned
In the army we had to use the pick an mattock set in our pioneer kit. It worked but was still a pain!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Be sure to use some lubrication as you beat the bead down.....50/50 Dawn dish washing liquid and water is slicker than snot on a doorknob. Squirt all the way around bead...wait a few minutes, beat on bead with preferred implement of destruction, put more lube on...wait a few minutes, beat down bead....repete as necessary or unitil you are wore slap out.